Microsoft Word 2007 - Office Button

freaky 18:54 08 May 2008

Have not had the above version of Word for long and would be grateful for some help.

Pressing the Office Button reveals a list of documents that have been created. So I have some questions: -

a)How do you delete a document from the list ?

b)If I deleted a document via My Documents, it still shows in this list....how do I delete it ?

I have tried right-clicking on the document but the option to remove it does not appear.

Pine Man 19:19 08 May 2008

Open up Word. Click on the Office Button. Select Word Options then Advanced and then scroll down to Display. Now just adjust the number of recent documents to zero!

Eric10 19:25 08 May 2008

There is a method of removing individual entries but not from within the program and it involves editing the Registry which may not be a good idea for many people. click here for more on this.

Eric10 19:34 08 May 2008

I should have made it clear that with the above removal method you have to edit the Registry every time you want to remove one or more documents.

freaky 20:52 08 May 2008

Many thanks, at least it's a start!!

It seems a shame you can't select which documents to display or not. Possibly there is but how!!

freaky 09:31 09 May 2008

According to Microsoft Word Help you can delete a file by: -

Right-Click the File you want to delete, then click Delete on the shortcut menu.

Problem is I cannot find the Shortcut Menu ?

Pine Man 08:32 10 May 2008

I have looked but the only way I can find to remove individual entries is by attacking the registry.

freaky 12:00 10 May 2008

QuDelete a file while in an Office program
Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
Important If you don't see the Microsoft Office Button, click Open on the File menu.

Keyboard shortcut To display the Open dialog box, press CTRL+O.

Locate the file that you want to delete.
Right-click the file, and then click Delete on the shortcut menu (shortcut menu: A menu that shows a list of commands relevant to a particular item. To display a shortcut menu, right-click an item or press SHIFT+F10.).
Note You can also select more than one file to be deleted at the same time.

How do you select more than one file?

Do one of the following:To select nonadjacent files in the Open dialog box, click one file, hold down CTRL, and then click each additional file.
To select adjacent files in the Open dialog box, click the first file in the sequence, hold down SHIFT, and then click the last file.
Tip If you select a file that you don't want, hold down CTRL, and then click the file again.

Eric10 12:08 10 May 2008

The list of documents you see when you click the Office button are just shortcuts, not the actual document files.
Word help is referring to the actual document files not the shortcuts.

Sea Urchin 12:18 10 May 2008

As Eric10 rightly says the list you see is just a record of documents/files you have previously visited. You cannot easily change that list, and specify some but not others. If you don't want a record then you must stop recording it - as in Pine Man's original posting.

freaky 13:04 10 May 2008

You can obviously delete the actual document via My Documents, but the shortcut is still showing.

No big problem but something Microsoft have overlooked !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?