Microsoft Word 2003 Problems

Aaaaargh! I'm close to giving the PC a gentle tap with a 10LB SLEDGE HAMMER.

Please help. I'm using MS Word 2003 and it's causing my pc to completely freeze up. I can open a document or two without any problems, but as soon as I start to manipulate any of the text, the whole lot just stops. I've tried updates from MS website etc, no luck.
Can anybody please advise, thanks.

Kate B 12:35 20 Feb 2007

Tell us more - your PC's specs, for starters, anything else you're trying to do at the same time, have you done scans with all the usual antimalware apps ... ?

recap 12:50 20 Feb 2007

It could be that the Normal.dot file is corrupt?

Rename the Normal.dot file to Normal.old, re-start Word and it will automatically create a new Normal.dot file.

Hi Kate B

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Socket A Motherboard 266MHz
1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
60GB & 80GB Hard drives
Nvidia 6600GT 128MB
Windows XP Home SP2

(I know it's quite an old machine now)

I've not been doing anything else I haven't been doing before at the same time, it's not unusual for me to be running multiple software. This only started 2 nights ago. I haven't carried out any scans as yet, what would you recommend.

Thanks recap, I've had to re-boot the pc a number of times and re-start word, no change.

recap 13:37 20 Feb 2007

Carry out scans for Viruses/Malware etc.

wee eddie 13:47 20 Feb 2007

I'd also add a "Defrag" and a clearing of the *.tmp files. would also recommend a good blow through of all the fans etcetera. This has nothing to do with the problem but may help.

You say that you can open a couple of Documents but the PC freezes when you start to manipulate any of them. How much do you have open when this happens. We had a Thread, earlier in the month, where the Poster had his whole book as a single file, I cannot imagine what size your average paperback would be as a single Word Document!

Have you used Belarc to make sure that your spec is all in place?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017