Microsoft Word 2000column of figures

loopyloo 16:38 19 Aug 2003

Please can someone help me.

How do you produce of column of figures in a letter with the identification at the side of those figures.
The figures in Word do not line up when you use the space bar.

Taff36 17:06 19 Aug 2003

Forget about using the tabkeys and spacebar.

Insert a table. From the menu bar select TABLE>INSERT>TABLE (Something similar in 2000 maybe) or there is usually alittle icon thatlooks like a table in the first toolbar - hover over them to find the right one.

Decide how many columns & rows you want to start with. You can always delete or add one`s later. The table will appear with grid lines visible to help you. Again once you have typed everything up you can format the table and get rid of them.

What you have is like an Excel worksheet. You can adjust the size or width of the columns by "grabbing" the grid lines and thereby align all your figures. Each column or row can have their contents aligned left right or central.

Experiment a bit and use the word helpfiles to read up about the various options. I`ll be back in the morning to see how you got on.

loopyloo 17:19 19 Aug 2003

Thank you Taff36. I will try your suggestions and get back to you.

loopyloo 17:47 20 Aug 2003

I have tried the tables. but still when you come to insert figures they still do not line up correctly. The decimal point is in the wrong place. ie: entering £ 1.20 and £11.20 they do not line up correctly. Please help.

fitshase 18:01 20 Aug 2003

In order to have the decimal place lined up correctly in a table, you will need to set the allignment of the column where you have the currency to RIGHT.

That way, as long as you always have 2 numbers after the decimal point, the decimal point will always be alligned.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Fitshase

Peter 18:49 20 Aug 2003

Once you have set up you table, highlight the column you want the figures in and then set a decimal tab on the ruler line above that column. This will line up the figures so that the decimal points will be in line vertically.

To set a decimal tab you need to click the symbol at the far left of the horizontal ruler bar at the top of the document. Normally the symbol is a capital L (Left Aligned); if you click it will change to an upside down T (Centre Aligned), then back to front L (Right Aligned) and lastly an upside down T with a decimal point (Decimal Tab Aligned).

I hope the above help, but if you need more help just post back again.

Peter.

loopyloo 10:58 21 Aug 2003

Thanks for the advice everyone I will try later and get back if I have any problems.

Ben Avery 11:28 21 Aug 2003

Look at the ruler on Word 2000 and decide just where abouts you want the columns to be.

Write down on a piece of paper the approximate locations and alignments for the columns e.g.

col 1 (left) = (will be at the left of the page)

col 2 (left) = 3.5cm

col 3 (right) = 7cm

col 4 (decimal point) = 12 cm

etc etc...

Then click on FORMAT>TABS

In the box which appears type in your locations starting at column 2 (3.5cm), then choose the type of alignment (in this case left is already chosen)

Click SET.

Do the same for the other columns, for example, on column 4 you would type:

12cm, then click on the DECIMAL alignment, and click SET.

When you are done, click on OK.

On the ruler you will now have all of your tabs ready and to move to the next you press the TAB key (the button to the left of the "Q" button).

To adjust the tabs a little, you can go back into FORMAT>TABS and adjust the locations or alignments easily.

Does this help?

BA

Ben Avery 11:30 21 Aug 2003

Words in parenthesis in the above example indicate the alignment required.

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?