Microsoft Windows XP Home OEM or Retail

crumbleeze 15:17 10 Feb 2006

I have been running Windows 98 for several years and would like to now go to XP Home. However, when I look into it I see that Microsoft Windows OEM XP Home Edition Inc SP2 is advertised at £59.03 inc VAT and Microsoft Windows Retail XP Home Inc SP2 costs £177.03. Can some kind person tell me what the difference is that makes the Retail version three times the price of the OEM.
Thanks,
crumbleeze

Monument 15:28 10 Feb 2006

Have a look at this current thread on the very subject click here

ade.h 16:03 10 Feb 2006

Inyour case, since you are not intending to build a new tower, you do not have a right to purchase OEM. If you built your own tower using new components, you could.

However, as a Windows 98 user, you may have a right to buy an upgrade copy at less that £80 retail. This may hinge on whether you have an OEM or full copy of Win 98. You will ideally need the CD too, as by far the best way to install a new OS is to do it on a clean drive.

Monument 16:20 10 Feb 2006

"you do not have a right to purchase OEM"

What this actually means is that if a supplier sells you an OEM copy without you purchasing a complete system then this is in breach of the licence conditions.

ventanas 17:11 10 Feb 2006

OEM Rules click here

You cannot buy OEM as has already been stated. Nor can anyone sell or attempt to sell you one. To do so is illegal. But as has also already been stated, you do qualify for a retail upgrade version, but unless you have a full Win98 CD you would run into problems if you ever need to reinstall XP from scratch. You would still have to go through the motions of putting '98 on first. My advice is to buy the full version. I know it's pricey, but worth it.

You also say you have been running Win 98 for "several years." You might like to post the spec here to see if it's feasable to upgrade.

ade.h 17:33 10 Feb 2006

"....you would run into problems if you ever need to reinstall XP from scratch. You would still have to go through the motions of putting '98 on first."

Sorry Ventanas, but I have to correct you there.

As I stated in my earlier post, it is best to make a clean installation of XP and use the validation process in which the upgrade CD will ask to "see" a valid copy of a suitable Windows OS. This can be done on a clean hard-disk - I do this regularly with one of my PCs on which I have an upgrade edition of XP.

But you probably knew that bit already. What you may not have found is that an OEM copy of 98, ME, etc. is still accepted. Quite how this fits in with MS's EULA on upgrades is unclear! Either it is actually permissble to upgrade from an OEM copy of 98/ME or MS has missed a loophole! Not sure which, to be honest.

(For the record, my old copy of 98 that I use for reinstall purposes is a full copy).

ade.h 17:36 10 Feb 2006

Jist of it is thus: Put in an upgrade CD and run it. It starts to install, then asks to see your old 98/ME disc. Swap the CDs around, it'll examine it, okay it, spit it out, and you put the XP disc back in and carry on.

No existing OS installation is required.

Skills 17:46 10 Feb 2006

ventanas said

"but unless you have a full Win98 CD you would run into problems if you ever need to reinstall XP from scratch. You would still have to go through the motions of putting '98 on first."

So he was agreeing with you

crumbleeze as long as you have a windows 98 disk you should be able to get an upgrade version of XP then follow ade.h post to do a clean installion of XP which is best. You'll will need to back up all of your exsiting files etc thou as that will wipe the hard drive clean.

Before you go to XP thou run through the upgrade advisor which will tell you of any potentional driver issues and make sure your system meets the requirements click here

ade.h 18:03 10 Feb 2006

You don't have to go through the motions of putting 98 on first!!!

Has no-one around here ever done a clean install of an XP upgrade edition?

On a blank hard-disk, you can install the upgrade edition of XP because it is in effect a full copy. No data is taken from the 98 CD other than to verify its existence.

You will be asked to insert a valid full copy of Windows during the clean install of XP, and all that it does is briefly examine the old CD to check that it is correct and genuine. Then it promptly asks you to take it back out and put the XP disc in again.

Skills 18:11 10 Feb 2006

I know thats what ventanas was saying that unless crumbleeze has a full windows 98 cd he would have to go through putting on 98 say from his recovery disk if he has one before he could do the upgrade. Otherwise he could do a clean install as you have stated

ade.h 18:15 10 Feb 2006

98 never had recovery discs to my knowledge. That was new to XP. 98 always came as either full OEM or full retail.

So I cannot see any reason why the poster may not have a full copy of 98 unless it has been lost. Hence my interpretation of Ventanas's comment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?