Microsoft vicious circle

Johnnie_M 13:57 14 Aug 2006

Ok, well, here it goes.

I recently reinstalled the OS on my system (XP Service Pack 1) So, I decided to remove Internet Explorer straight away to install Firefox, but when I go to install service pack 2 I get the "you must have Internet Explorer to install this service pack"

So I then go to the IE6 site and try and install it only to get "you have a more up-to-date version installed, installation cannot continue"

So, I go to Internet Explorer 7 Beta site to try and resolve this, and then bang, "This version of Internet Explorer 7 cannot install on this service pack"

Anyone know how to maybe sort?

thanks in advance

DieSse 14:00 14 Aug 2006

You don't need to uninstall IE to run Firefox - and you probably shouldn't try, for the reasons they give.

Just install FF and use it, and ignore IE.

mattyc_92 14:02 14 Aug 2006

Go to "Start->Run" and type in "sfc /scannow" (without the quotations).
This will require your "WinXP Installation disc"

Gongoozler 14:03 14 Aug 2006

Johnnie_M, you don't need to remove Internet Explorer to install FireFox. You simply install FireFox and set it to be your default browser. Some sites and some programs insist on your having Internet Explorer anyway.

Johnnie_M 14:04 14 Aug 2006

Yea I know I didn't have to uninstall it, but I thought the clever thing would be install IE7 after uninstalling IE6, but I will try mattyc_92 resolve, cheers.

johndrew 14:07 14 Aug 2006

You will need IE on the set up of Windows to open anything from HDDs and to update so leave it there.

You don`t need to worry about IE if you want to use Firefox as your browser. Simply install Firefox and select it as your preference when it asks.

When you go to Microsoft for updates it prefers IE so go to Tools and select `Always veiw this page in IE`. Firefox will then open IE as a widow in the view area and all will be well.

I think you need SP2 to use IE7. If I`m wrong someone will correct me. Having said that, IE6 still works fine.

€dstowe 14:29 14 Aug 2006

You should install SP2 for reasons other than getting IE7 to work - it is required for all the security updates to work and much more.

mattyc_92 15:23 14 Aug 2006

So how did you solve it? Did my suggestion work, or did you use another?

Gongoozler 16:57 14 Aug 2006

The latest PCA mag (October 2006) helpline covers this issue of removing IE7. It appears that there is a bug in IE7 beta that prevents it being completely uninstalled. It also appears to be connected with updates made after the installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?