Microsoft Validation

musopoet 15:17 25 Sep 2009

I keep getting messages that inform me that my Windows Media Player has not passed validation. I won't enable me to play files no more and asks me to download Media Player 11. I'm unable to do so.

When I go through the Validation process I am informed that my copy of Windows is not genuine. However, when I had a recent rein-stall done the shop gave me a disc which looked like an authentic copy???

bjh 15:26 25 Sep 2009

It's not the disk that makes the copy valid, but the "Certificate of Authority", a label with a long number on it, usually fixed to your machine. Do you have such a label?

It'd look vaguely like click here but varies depending on the species of Windows installed.

musopoet 15:48 25 Sep 2009

Can't see one!

Sea Urchin 16:01 25 Sep 2009

Did you buy your system new? If so it should have a product key somewhere on a label - in the form of 25 alpha-numeric digits in groups of five.

bjh 16:46 25 Sep 2009

If the shop charged you for a Windows disk, or install, they should supply you with one.

musopoet 16:58 25 Sep 2009

I bought my PC without Windows installation on it.

Installed it from a disc - Windows XP Professional - bought from shop that also did the recent re-installation. Had no worries before - it's a Version 2002 Service Pack 2 disc - but recent Windows downloads have upgraded it to Service Pack 3.

Sea Urchin 17:38 25 Sep 2009

You would have needed the product key to install it

chub_tor 17:45 25 Sep 2009

Presumably it was validated when you first installed it, then for some reason you had it re-installed by the shop that you bought it from. Did they re-install it from the same disk or did they use a different disc with a different (non valid)code. You need to contact the shop again.

musopoet 18:04 25 Sep 2009

The disc was installed with the product key - the shop has informed me.

The same disc was used for re-installation.

I can't understand why I keep getting these messages - also my desktop screen has changed from blue to black and a message has appeared at the bottom of my screen which reads: 'you may be a victim of software counterfeiting - this copy of windows did not pass genuine windows validation'

Never had these problems before???!!!

chub_tor 18:53 25 Sep 2009

click here will give you the Microsoft options for making your installation legal

bjh 19:09 25 Sep 2009

Quote "The disc was installed with the product key - the shop has informed me"...
... then they should give you the Certificate of Authority slip that they used!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone