Microsoft updates and Installing

driving man 01:38 15 Nov 2005

Recently my automatic updates downloaded many files but 3 of them could or would not install at all' I tried many ways (as administrator -just in case ) but no go. On trying to install a warning popped up saying these files cannot be installed. I used the files numbers (eg KB896688 ) to access microsofts site downloaded them individually and installed them with no problem.
Question is why didn't they install the first time when all the other files did

Taff™ 08:04 15 Nov 2005

One of life`s little mysteries?

Taff™ 08:17 15 Nov 2005

click here for more practical comments mate! (Can`t find the more recent thread on the forum - someone else had this problem last week as I said.

driving man 15:02 15 Nov 2005

Taff good useful page but no help in this case

driving man 01:46 16 Nov 2005

JT thanks for your thoughts but they didnt help Please next time use the forum as a contact.Best wishes from bev

waveneyweb 12:08 17 Nov 2005

Is these any solution available that works. I've had this problem with update KB896688 for weeks.
It downloads, but is unable to install.

driving man 16:18 17 Nov 2005

all I can say Waveneneyweb is to do as I did and instore them manually ----why automatic doesnt work on this download I dont know as many others do download

waveneyweb 15:53 18 Nov 2005

I've tried that & now none of the updates since that one will install!!!!
Tina

BurrWalnut 16:56 18 Nov 2005

It could be the firewall is blocking the download otherwise check if the BITS (background intelligent transfer service) service has been corrupted
click here

Stuartli 17:05 18 Nov 2005

There are certain occasions when Windows installs such updates when you Turn Off your system.

A notice comes up warning that the installation(s) are being done and you should wait until they are completed before shutting down.

It might/could be the reason for your problem.

driving man 19:47 18 Nov 2005

Stuartli, not in this case --- there were a whole lot of updates as I had just reset to factory settings and all except 3 went in. It was only by luck that I realised I could do them individually and not use auto

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone