Microsoft updates have encountered a problem

gudda96 09:03 25 Jul 2006

The post heading is what I received when trying for an update today.

i dont know if connected but my Hotmail closed down again and MS knowledge base gave me some adjustments to make in Internet Options to help with the HM problem, but it did not.

I can use FF/IE/OE without problems, its just Hotmail and now Windows updates.

Diodorus Siculus 09:14 25 Jul 2006

I had that with Microsoft Update yesterday - reminded me to try again so will see how it goes.

Diodorus Siculus 09:22 25 Jul 2006

click here for a suggested solution - although it hasn't sorted my problem.

CALDOW 20:26 25 Jul 2006

Have just come from hotmail went to windows update then came here all with no problems.Cant find anything wrong with the sites.All of this with Beta 3.All of this at 20-16hrs 25-07-06.Sorry chaps i cant help. Jim

Diodorus Siculus 20:41 25 Jul 2006

windowsupdate Error number: 0x8024001D
"Click Start, Choose Run. In the Run box, type services.msc. Click OK. Right-click the Automatic Updates service. Click Stop. Stopping the service will take a moment. Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder: a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK. b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename. c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder. Click Start. Choose Run. In the Run box, type services.msc. Click OK. Right-click the Automatic Updates service. Click Start. Starting the service will take a moment. You will lose your history but not important. "
click here

Diodorus Siculus 20:41 25 Jul 2006

Click Start, Choose Run.

In the Run box, type services.msc.

Click OK.

Right-click the Automatic Updates service.

Click Stop.

Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder: a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then

click OK.

b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.

c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click Start. Choose Run.

In the Run box, type services.msc.

Click OK.

Right-click the Automatic Updates service.

Click Start.

Starting the service will take a moment.

You will lose your history but not important.

gudda96 11:22 26 Jul 2006

Dio

Thanks for all that trouble, my WGA pop up has gone now, I dont know if this means that they now know that I am "genuine" or not but I suppose I should leave it dont you think?

I will save your reply as you have laid it out exactly as I like a solution displayed.

Diodorus Siculus 12:44 26 Jul 2006

gudda96 - no trouble - I had to sort it out for myself and your thread reminded me to do so :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?