Microsoft Update for Windows XP (KB971029)

Graphicool1 15:57 24 Feb 2011

This update preports to to be a security update. It stops auto play in everything except CD and DVD.

I nearly installed it, but stopped it when I thought what about 'In the background auto back-up programmes'?

Sea Urchin 16:02 24 Feb 2011

It would not affect the running of programs - but simply the auto-run feature of any storage device plugged into a USB port

This from Microsoft:

In Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2003, AutoRun entries were populated for all devices that had mass storage and had a validly formatted AutoRun.inf file in the root directory. This included CDs, DVDs, USB thumb drives, external hard disks, and any volume that exposed itself as mass storage. This update disables AutoRun entries in AutoPlay, and displays only entries that are populated from CD and DVD drives. Effectively, this prevents AutoPlay from working with USB media.

GaT7 16:09 24 Feb 2011

G1, from the MSKB article click here, it looks like it'll only affect autorun features in media/drives - i.e. not installed software programs.

One can also configure it further by editing the registry - same link above & look under "How to selectively disable specific Autorun features". G

Graphicool1 16:40 24 Feb 2011

"It would not affect the running of programs - but simply the auto-run feature of any storage device plugged into a USB port"

"Effectively, this prevents AutoPlay from working with USB media."

If I were to auto back-up wouldn't it most likely be to an external HDD through USB?

Graphicool1 16:55 24 Feb 2011

I'll update when I've read your 'Click Here'

muddypaws 16:57 24 Feb 2011

Haven't tried my cameras yet, but how about them.
ie usb sd.
Presumably I can uninstall the KB if required.

Graphicool1 16:58 24 Feb 2011

"Note Updates 950582, 967715, and 953252 provide the same functionality for Autorun. Update 953252 was repackaged as security update 950582 to provide an additional security update for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008."

None of these refer to...
Ms Update for Windows XP (KB971029)

Graphicool1 17:02 24 Feb 2011

"Presumably I can uninstall the KB if required."

Perhaps, but not if you have a system purge and delete your Ms Update Uninstall's? Which I am prone to do on occasion through CCleaner!

muddypaws 17:28 24 Feb 2011

No trace of it in Add/Remove.
Last ones were 9/2.
Did have a shield up yesterday re an update.
I clicked d/load, but never got an install notice.
So I assume I dont have it.
Graphicool1.......Thanks.

Sea Urchin 17:46 24 Feb 2011

"If I were to auto back-up wouldn't it most likely be to an external HDD through USB?"

As you say that would be backing up TO an external HDD - you are not auto-running a program FROM the HDD so that is not affected.

bremner 17:58 24 Feb 2011

USB hard drives and camera Cards do not autorun.

This update will have no effect on any external USB devices you have plugged into your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?