Microsoft Update versus Belarc Advisor

Badger Man 15:35 11 Feb 2010

I run XP Home SP3 and have Microsoft Update set to download updates automatically, but the only ones I get are for Windows Defender.
To see if I am missing any Critical or Important Updates I have to run Belarc Advisor, which lists any missing Windows Updates - then I have to go to the Microsoft Download Center web page to download each update separately from there.
Does anyone know why I do not receive the updates from Microsoft?
Today I had to download 9 updates.

oldbeefer2 15:43 11 Feb 2010

Not sure why that's happening, but you don't need to run Belarc - just go to Start, Windows Update. That will scan your confuser and you can then download all updates in one go.

Badger Man 16:03 11 Feb 2010

When I go to Microsoft Update it scans my computer and then only finds updates for Windows Defender - that is why I have to use Belarc Advisor.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 11 Feb 2010

Two possible reasons

1. you have ticked not to download updates

2. MS think you have a non genuine copy of windows (Ad this problem on a preinstalled Medion where XP was considered to be pirated.)

Badger Man 22:51 11 Feb 2010

Neither of these possibilities apply - as I said in my original post my computer is set to download updates automatically, and my Windows XP is genuine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:16 11 Feb 2010

"and my Windows XP is genuine."

I not suggesting it isn't (mine's genuine) however MS sometimes makes an error in recognising preinstalled ons as many people are using the same batch serial number and the automate system throws it up as an error.

Try switching off auto updates. - download a an update manually - then switch auto updates back on and see what happens.

northumbria61 23:26 11 Feb 2010

Have you tried DISABLING windows defender in SERVICES and then going to Windows Updates to see what happens? W.D is only a scanner. Also try disabling "Real Time Protection" in Windows Defender.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017