Microsoft update showing error 80072EFE

mike1967 15:22 30 Mar 2010

Hi

Trying to do a manual check for updates but error code 80072EFE any ideas

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:57 30 Mar 2010

clear the file system transaction log

Click the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the Search box, type Command Prompt, and then, in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
In the command prompt window, type fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\. (This assumes that C: is the drive in which Windows Vista is installed. If Windows is installed on another drive, change the drive letter accordingly.)
Restart your computer.
Download and install the update again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:03 30 Mar 2010

1) Create a folder on C:\ drive called 'WUAGENT'. Use this directory to
store the Windows Update Agent file (see next step).

2) Go to the link below, and download 'WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe' to the
C:\WUAGENT directory:
click here

3) Open the Command Prompt and forced a re-install of the Windows Update
Agent with the following command:

C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

4) Try to re-install the update

mike1967 16:31 30 Mar 2010

Think I may have another problem while trying to go to your link its saying the connection to server was reset, in fact any connect to a microsoft update link does the same, Virus by any chance?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 30 Mar 2010

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here
Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new account, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new account. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 30 Mar 2010

wrong thread please ignore

mike1967 17:17 30 Mar 2010

ok no probs

But any ideas?

Sea Urchin 17:35 30 Mar 2010

This is a link to Microsoft's solution to reset the Windows Update components. If you cannot reach it for any reason then I have copied it below with the Fixit Link at the bottom.

click here

To reset the Windows Update components automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and then follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

Note: this Fix it Solution has two modes Default and Aggressive. You should run the Fix it solution in Default mode and determine if it resolves your problem with Windows Update before running it in Aggressive mode.

This is the Fix It link
click here

mike1967 17:35 01 Apr 2010

Tried that in both normal mode and aggressive mode, when I try to get the the microsoft update web sites the browser comes up with the connection has been reset

I'm thinking I now have some sort of virus but have checked with various products McAfee, Anti-malware etc but finds nothing.

The latest update for IE8 will not download but an update for Windows Defender has

mike1967 14:39 02 Apr 2010

Anyone?

john bunyan 14:55 02 Apr 2010

I had a problem earlier this week after downloding a programme reccomended on the forum that identifies your hardware. It cam, sneakily, wit a Drive update scanner. I suspect this was a virus or malware, even though I have Avira and PC Tools firewall. Anywal my e mail would not work, and Malawarebytes was disabled. System restoe reported "Changes have been made by a third pary to your firewall setting". In the end I used ATI to clone last weeks back up from my slave drive (normally switched off in a removable caddy) to my C: drive, formatting it in the meantim. This solved the problems.Have you scanned wit Malawarebytes and / or Superantispyware?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?