Microsoft Security Essentials or other

john 52 21:02 01 Jan 2010

After taking advice from members of the forum last year to which I am grateful regarding which anti virus and firewall to go for I ended up with Avast,Windows firewall (behind a router)Malwarebytes.SUPERAntiSpyware .

My daughter has bought a new laptop with windows 7 and I just wonder if she would be better using Microsoft Security Essentials as a complete package and do forum members suggest she runs anything else along side this .

Myself I am happy with the Avast etc but would MSE provide better protection .
I am on XP

Many thanks for any help

Eargasm 21:17 01 Jan 2010

I have recently moved to Windows 7( 64bit) and am using Microsoft Security Essentials Anti Virus and PC Tools Plus Firewall which got some great reviews.

click here

I also use Spywareblaster 4.2 Malwarebytes and Ccleaner.
All are running fine with the new system.

jamesd1981 21:25 01 Jan 2010

hi john i use mse on all the pcs i maintain aswell as my own desktop & laptop and ive never had any problems and unlike the likes of avg it isnt download hungry the first update is quite big to get it up and running but after that its quite low updates and common sense tells me who knows more about windows os and its vulnerable spots than microsoft can i also suggest a program called iobit security 360 you can download it free at click here and just incase you dont know mse has two different versions one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit.

Woolwell 22:57 01 Jan 2010
  legalrep 08:44 02 Jan 2010

I can only give my personal view and having over the years used Avast, AVG and MSE I have to say MSE is my personal program of choice, nice and simple runs in the background never gives any trouble!

birdface 10:00 02 Jan 2010

Whatever you decide I would keep Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.And use whatever Anti-Virus program that you like.

john 52 10:19 02 Jan 2010

Many thanks for all your replies !! I was not aware they did a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of MSE.
As the laptop ( Toshiba 450-136 ) will run 32 bit and 64 bit software I guess it would be the 64 bit software to install.

For my computer which is a 4 year old dell with XP do you suggest sticking with Avast,Windows firewall (behind a router)Malwarebytes.SUPERAntiSpyware . or would I benefit with changing to MSE ,MSEMalwarebytes.SUPERAntiSpyware .

Thanks John

john 52 19:58 02 Jan 2010

Many thanks to everyone for there advice !!

I will go for Microsoft Security Essentials,
SUPERAntiSpyware .Malwarebytes on my daughters computer and leave my set up the same

thanks

tullie 19:59 02 Jan 2010

Personely,i wouldent use Windows Firewall with XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache