Microsoft search programme open blank

gyahwi 11:17 07 Sep 2005

Hello,

Two logon users of Windows XP(Home)pc. One user is able to open Microsoft search prog. and able to search for files etc. but, the other user when log on opens the search prog. blank (i.e. not text). Could anyone share any light to resolve the problem?

Regards

Yoda Knight 12:08 07 Sep 2005

Your going to have to explain this a bit better...

VoG II 12:56 07 Sep 2005
  VoG II 15:19 08 Sep 2005

Via e-mail

Hello Vog, As already specified in the previous report the family pc is Windows xp (home) and the log on users are. J. A****s and K. A****s both have administrative options; and the problem encountered are search companion; microsoft windows media player as outlined in Article ID 831430. Now method 1 in the above article resolved the problem encountered by the first pc user but, when the second pc logs on to use the pc the same problem is encountered. Applying Method 1 does not clear the problem (i.e. jscript.dll and vbscript.dll fails to register) likewise applied the method to restore Windows xp.cab file but, could not find Windows xp.cab file in 1386 folder (this folder is blank when browsing the CD in the drive. Please could you help where to find .....cab.file? Regards

===============================================

Firstly, please reply using the Add a response box at the bottom of this page. The yellow envelope is for private messages.

If you have a full Windows disk (not a manufacturers recovery disk) then the I386 folder should be on the CD. Make sure that the option to show hidden and system files is selected in Windows Explorer.

gyahwi 10:45 09 Sep 2005

Hi VoG

Many thanks for security advise. Microsoft notoriously does not supply the referenced disk likewise turned to the Manufacturer disk. However, show hidden files option was selected and the 1386 folder could not be found in WINDOWS in Prog files.

On the contrary, why this same problem was resolved by method 1 above under first pc user is not reflected to the second pc user? (i.e wmp 10 and search companion progs etc. are common to all users)
Hoping to hear from you soon.

Regards

VoG II 14:27 09 Sep 2005

You can download the foles from click here and click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?