Microsoft pinging a PC

The Brigadier 19:03 21 Mar 2007

I have a Client who's PC has stopped working, some software seems to be cracked software on it. They went for an update, could MS have pinged their pc and stopped it working???

Technotiger 19:18 21 Mar 2007

Hi, I would say that MS pinging an individual PC is very highly unlikely. Can you give more details of the PC and the problem?

The Brigadier 19:56 21 Mar 2007

When ever they start up they get a box appear asking them to validate their copy of XP, this then directs them to the MS webpage to validate their copy of XP.

Their copy is a full legal copy of XP Home with product code.

Not sure if they have added anything new in the way of hardware, just never come across this with someone running a legal version?

Technotiger 20:05 21 Mar 2007

Right, this is not unusual, WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) is quite prevalent these days. It is part of a Windows update, which will update automatically if allowed - I have suppressed it on my PC, I don't need MS to tell me I am running a legal XP when I already know I am. As they are running a genuine XP they have no need to worry, let them validate it, then if MS tries to update them with WGA they can just say 'Don't ask again' - there is a tick-box to allow this action. They should have no problems updating their genuine XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?