Microsoft photo editor

MJR43 16:49 17 Jan 2007

In upgrading to XP Home Edtion and Office 2003 Basic Edition I have lost Microsoft Photo editor which I found useful for editing old partially damaged photographs. Particularly using the smudge facility. Is there anyway I can get this software back or do I have to buy another package. If so which is best for restoring old pictures.

howard64 17:22 18 Jan 2007

got this from google. If you left any vestiges of Office XP on your system, choose Start – Settings – Control Panel – Add or Remove Programs – Microsoft Office XP – Change – Add or Remove… - Next. Microsoft Photo Editor is listed under Office Tools. You’ll be prompted to insert the CD at the appropriate time.

If you didn’t leave any of Office XP on your system, then you’ll need to insert the Office XP CD, and ultimately navigate to the same location.

After monkeying with XP setup, you might find that the next time your run an Office 2003 program, it might tell you that it’s installing something. Feed it the Office 2003 CD if prompted. Don’t worry. It just needs to grab a few files that XP rudely overwrote.

Once you’ve reinstalled Photo Editor, when you right-click a supported graphic, the Open With choices should now include Microsoft Photo Editor. If setup reset Photo Editor as the default, and if you don’t want it to be the default, you can reestablish MOPM as the default. In Windows Explorer, right-click on a file whose Open behavior you want to change. Choose Open With, then Choose Program. In the Open With dialog box, select the program you want to use (e.g., Microsoft Office Picture Manager), click to enable the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file, and click OK. Or, if reinstalling Microsoft Photo Editor doesn’t reinstated it as the default, you can use the Open With…Chose Program trick to do it.

MJR43 10:58 19 Jan 2007

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my MS Photo Editor did not come from an XP CD it was installed on my previous machine I think as part of Office 97.The only CD I have is the office 2003 basic edition.

VoG II 11:04 19 Jan 2007

It is included in Office 2003. If you insert the Office CD you should get the option to add components. Look in Microsoft Office Tools.

Eric10 11:16 19 Jan 2007

You could try Paint.net which is a free image and photo manipulation package. click here

MJR43 13:18 20 Jan 2007

Although Office basic edition contains microsoft picture manager this is not the same as photo editor and has a more limited tool set. It does not enable the cut and paste and smudge facilities that photo editor had.Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone