Microsoft Outlook will not close

Ewa 17:14 29 May 2004

My Microsoft Outlook keeps getting stuck in 'running' mode. When I finish and click x the window closes but when seconds/minutes later I want to close the computer a window appears saying that Microsoft Outlook is still running. I have to press 'end now' risking loosing data (I am not aware I have ever lost any though).
Any ideas, please? I run XP. I have reloaded the Microsoft Outlook (2002) several times hoping this will improve things but it has not.
Ewa

GaT7 17:36 29 May 2004

Instead of reloading Outlook try a 'repair'. Good luck, G

Ewa 18:56 29 May 2004

I tried that too, sounded to hopeful. No use.

GaT7 19:14 29 May 2004

Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit:

1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. ["Having my PDA in the cradle apparently was what was preventing my Outlook
2003 from exiting. Removing it before exiting works!"]

2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support for an alleged fix.

3. Franklin-Cover Plan Plus!

4. COM Add-ins.

5. Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the background to check for new mail and fire reminders.

6. Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan incoming and outgoing mail. [So disable this if it's enabled & check to see if the problems recurs.]

(Source: click here)

Ewa 22:10 29 May 2004

This is an interesting set of ideas, thank you. My PDA in the craddle use to cause a great number of problems. I now sync and charge through a sync/charge cable and this works well. Points 2-3 I do not know what they are so probably they do not apply, I think 4 does not either (unless it could be the printer?). I have just disabled something in the Outlook, may be if it was 5 then it may work, I will see.
I remember in Norton there was an option of scanning outgoing mail but now I am using windows xp firewall and Panda Antivirus, I do not know how to find out if they are scanning my ougoing mail or not. Do you know?
Anyway, it may be point 5 and thank you for the link to the Microsoft Outlook discussion.

VoG II 22:33 29 May 2004

XP Firewall does not scan *anything* outgoing - so may be worth thinking about an alternative such as ZoneAlarm (free version) click here

As far as I know, Panda does scan incoming and outgoing e-mail.

Ewa 20:02 01 Jun 2004

It still has a problem with closing, I mean still after I disabled scheduled send and receive. Anybody knows if this could be something to do with a connection to external VPN?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?