microsoft outlook v outlook express

mec13 18:18 07 Nov 2004

I have used a computer for just a few years(95 onwards) and with it the internet of course. My knowledge of computering is nothing to shout about, hence my question! Outlook express has always been my e mail programe, which I thought was 'the norm'. But as I hear more experience computer user talking, Microsoft Outlook seems to be the more 'in thing' to use. I'm trying to climb up the ladder in computer knowledge (still on the first rung) that little desk-top icon which when I 'click on' tells me that Microsoft Outlook is not my current default e mailer, would I like to make it, Nerviously I click 'no' as Outlook Express has served me well so far.
My quest for greater knowledge urge's me to have a go at Microsoft Outlook, which does look rather more complicated, compared with Outlook Express. I ask this, is it worth me trying M.O. and impress my work-mates, and is it easy to return to O.E. if things go wrong. I did say my knowledge of computering was, shall we say 'limited'

VoG II 18:23 07 Nov 2004

You can change your default e-mail program in Internet Explorer, Tools/Internet Options, Programs tab.

If you use Outlook it may import your address list automatically (I can't remember!). You can do this manually in Outlook from File/Import and Export.

If you only want to use e-mail there is little point in changing from OE to Outlook. If you want to use the other Outlook features like the calendar then it makes sense.

Camyaj 18:28 07 Nov 2004

I would agree with VoG unless you want the extra functions I would stay where you are

VoG II 18:31 07 Nov 2004

click here explains the differences.

Cook2 18:34 07 Nov 2004

that little desk-top icon which when I 'click on' tells me that Microsoft Outlook is not my current default e mailer, would I like to make it, Nerviously I click 'no'

Next time click 'Yes' and Outlook will import all your contacts. Try it for a week or so and if you want to revert to OE just click on OE and it will ask if you want it as your default e-mail. Click yes and you're back OE.

Personally I prefer Outlook.

Cook2 18:34 07 Nov 2004

that little desk-top icon which when I 'click on' tells me that Microsoft Outlook is not my current default e mailer, would I like to make it, Nerviously I click 'no'

Next time click 'Yes' and Outlook will import all your contacts. Try it for a week or so and if you want to revert to OE just click on OE and it will ask if you want it as your default e-mail. Click yes and you're back OE.

Personally I prefer Outlook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?