Microsoft Outlook problem anyone?

Effie 22:26 30 Oct 2008

I have saved valuable e-mails in a backup from MS Outlook Express, which I normally use, as I was having problems with the main computer.

I now need to do a bit of moving of them from there to Outlook Express . Unfortunately, MS Outlook Express doesn't seem to be recognizing that MS Outlook exists so I'm stuck, especially as I no longer have MS Word on this computer to try to do some copying and pasting etc .

Suggestion anyone please?

Technotiger 22:33 30 Oct 2008

I don't fully understand your question - maybe you have left out some details, like how and where you saved the backup?

However, perhaps if you read through this, it might help ... click here

Effie 23:33 30 Oct 2008

Thanks Technotiger and Beta.

I exported it to another partition as a temporary measure and saved to disc as a PST file but Express can't seem to find this file anywhere. It seems to be looking for a programme , not a file even if I save the stuff to My Documents, I get no where.

Is there any way this stuff can be crossed over or what should I do next to try to recover this stuff in a different format that maybe OE might happily import from??

Ashrich 00:11 31 Oct 2008

Outlook Express saves files as .dbx files and Outlook saves them as .pst files , I don't think the two are compatible and one file will need to be converted to be opened in the other .

Ashley

Stuartli 00:13 31 Oct 2008

Er, no thanks...:-)

Effie 10:06 31 Oct 2008

Ashrock, how could it be conveted do you by any chance know?

Technotiger 10:16 31 Oct 2008

You might find a converter here, but I have not searched ...

click here

mimosa418 11:54 31 Oct 2008

You can import outlook files into outlook express by going to Files/import/messages and following through the wizard. As far as I know both programs have to be on the same machine.

Ashrich 19:26 31 Oct 2008

I would try downloading Mozilla Thunderbird , installing it and making it the default program for email , then open the file/folder where you have stored your .pst files and you should see that they have a little Thunderbird icon next to them . Double click on the individual files and they should open in the appropriate program . From there you can copy them to your inbox (message/copy/local folders , select where you want to store them )

You can then import them to your other email program .

This works with Outlook Express emails , I reckon it should work with Outlook ones as well , when you have finished you can uninstall Thunderbird if you wish .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie