Microsoft Office Student & Teacher

russ-rich 17:34 03 Jul 2007

I have the 2003 version of this which permits 3 home users. All of these have been filled.
However, I have bought a new computer and getting rid of the old but Microsoft does not allow me to register on the new one as it says that I already have the maximum number.
Anybody know how I am allowed to substitute the new one for the old?

Thanks

Jackcoms 18:36 03 Jul 2007

Let me quote from your posting:

"Microsoft does not allow me to register on the new one as it says that I already have the maximum number"

That's your answer.

If you're after advice on how to do something outside the terms of your 'licence' with Microsoft, you're in the wrong Forum.

PalaeoBill 18:55 03 Jul 2007

When Microsoft released Office 2003 they allowed a maximum of 3 activations. It is a 'wooly' point as to whether they meant you could have it installed on 3 different PC's simultaneously or that they were attempting to limit the number of re-installs you could do without contacting them. 'Wooly' because the wording of the licence is ambiguous. Later versions are more explicit and allow you to install on one desktop and one laptop on the understanding that you use one or the other but not both simultaneously.

My advice is to phone Microsoft and tell them that you have bought a new machine, are scrapping your old one and would like an activation code please. There shouldn't be a problem.

russ-rich 19:18 03 Jul 2007

Thanks PalaeoBill - my version says quite clearly 'install full versions of the latest Office products on up to 3 of your home pcs'.
And if I could just comment on Jackcoms comment; I was not trying to do something outside the terms of my license; just substitute new for old - perhaps you didnt read my question correctly.
Anyway thanks PalaeoBill for your advice

Woolwell 19:28 03 Jul 2007

Contact Microsoft by phone and explain the situation. I think that you will find that they will be helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?