Microsoft Office (Business) Outlook

The Brown Rock 00:28 19 Oct 2009

Since I had installed Microsoft (Business) Outlook on my new (Vista) computer two years ago I have had trouble connecting to my "Hotmail" accoun. When I send an e/mail via 'Outlook' some will go; others will remain in the outbox. The message I seem to be getting that might account for this is as follows: "Cannot connect to SSL as it is in "offline" mode" I tried to open a new GMail account; the message here is: "The set of folders cannot be opened.... not an offline folder file. I need hardly point out that I am very much 'on line'. Of a number of problems, this, at the cost, is the most exasperating. Can anyone steer a path for me. or will I have to wait for 7? Thanks, in anticipation.

BRYNIT 01:16 19 Oct 2009

If I remember correctly a while back something was changed and you could not use MS outlook with hotmail accounts.

You can now download Microsoft Office Outlook Connector. click here

The Brown Rock 00:15 20 Oct 2009

You are correct BRYNIT, what changed was I got a new computer with Microsoft Office 2007; leaving Office '97 behind and a working "Outlook Express" on Windows `98. We had a prompt some months ago to download Office Connector which I did at the time. I continue to have old mails in the outbox. I'm wondering now though if in the meantime connecting to broadband might have had an effect on the connection and thereby giving me the "offline" message and if so how do I sync the two - or should the 'connector' do this for me?

mgmcc 08:23 20 Oct 2009

In Outlook's "File" menu, check that "Work Offline" isn't ticked.

FreeCell 09:43 20 Oct 2009

click here

Instructions for setting Outlook 2007 to access Gogglemail accounts.

The Brown Rock 00:32 21 Oct 2009

I have checked that "offline" is not ticked, but when I click on GMail on the side panel to open, I get the message not available offline. I printed off the instructions in the 'click here' from FreeCell but I cannot find "Auto Account Setup that would manually allow me to configure server settings which might help for GMail account. I get the auto wizard which has the only option of E/Mail address with password. I am able to open Hotmail and some e/mails make it through from the outbox, others just sit there; almost always an "error" message briefly pops up on the upper left corner of the screen. This is entirely an "Outlook" problem, with both Hotmail and GMail working without a glitch when selected seperately from their own address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?