microsoft office

janeyG 19:17 10 May 2010

Hi there,

hope someone can help me.I bought my colleague's year-old pc as she got a laptop.I am used to having microsoft office and am going to need word and powerpoint in particular.When I go into programs it looks like microsoft office is there but it asks for a product key every time I go in and says I can use the application a limited number of times without the product key.Even when I have tried to save a document it wont open up again as an error-type message comes up saying th application be in use etc.I'm not sure whether the microsoft office installed is just a demonstration as my colleague never needed office herself and like me, hasn't a clue.could somepne please shed some light, I know i'm not explaining it very well.Thanks.

ame 19:36 10 May 2010

You can get a trial of MS Ofiice 2007 from click here Suggest you remove your current Office setup and download a new trial.

csqwared 19:39 10 May 2010

It sounds to me as though you do have a demo programme, which would be upgraded to the full working version when you supply the product key. I assume no discs were supplied with the computer so you won't be able to do that. The Office 2007 package retails at approx. £300 depending on where you buy. You do have a couple of other options. If you are a student, full or part time, look here click here. If not consider looking at Open Office which is free (click here) which will do what you require although differently, so there's a bit of a learning curve. Good luck.

ame 19:39 10 May 2010

Or you can download the permanently free and MS Office-compatible Openoffice from click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 10 May 2010

Get Open Office its free and will open MS office docs spreadsheets and presentations as well as allow you to create your own.

click here

janeyG 20:42 10 May 2010

Hi there,

thanks for your replies.However, if I use openoffice and try and open a file created there on another pc that has microsoft office, wont there be a problem?

Jameslayer 20:44 10 May 2010

Openoffice is deaigned to open office documents.

csqwared 19:18 11 May 2010

OpenOffice has the ability to save documents/spreadsheets/presentations in a variety of formats one of which, for documents, has the .doc extension which means the file will be compatible , and usable, with Word 6.0/95/97/2000. Similarly with presentations, a variety of formats are available including .ppt which again is compatible with MSOffice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires