Microsoft office

AlexPB 17:31 14 Apr 2009

Hi,

I have microsoft office installed on my acer aspire one (which has windows xp now). I dont really use office much on my laptop and am looking to keep the performance of the acer to the highest possible as it only has 500mb of RAM.

Would it be advisable to remove office or would it not really make any difference to the performance of the system.

Thanks
Alex

DieSse 17:34 14 Apr 2009

It will not really make any difference to performance.

Make sure there are no Office or Office related items set to run at start-up time.

You can use the excellent StartupCPL freeware to check out what does start at startup.

click here

AlexPB 20:04 14 Apr 2009

Thanks for the reply,
Any other opinions at all?

Thanks

interzone55 20:22 14 Apr 2009

If it's sat there doing nothing - ie no bits of it set to run at start up - then it's not sapping any performance, although it'll be eating a good chunk of your drive space.

I'd be tempted to keep it installed though, as it may come in useful, and it's a whole lot better than every other other office suite out there.

Open Office is close, and free, but there's no point removing MS Office just to replace it later with an inferior product...

bluto1 21:22 14 Apr 2009

I agree with alan14, but if you still have the Microsoft Office disc you could uninstall it and then reinstall only what you want of it. I did and I'm happy with what I've got. However, if ever I need any of it's other applications I've still got the disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone