Microsoft Office

fazer 12:40 18 Oct 2005

Several weeks ago I set up a log-in for my kids and have been dogged by several issues since, the latest being Word:

When the kids have logged on and attempt to open Word, the computer goes through a set-up process of Microsoft Office, stalls some of the way through, then displays a message to the effect that that the installation failed. I have learnt that by quickly pressing "cancel" during this set-up process the kids to get the full access to Word that I do on my log-in.

My question therefore is - whats happening here and how do I resolve it?

(Windows XP)

€dstowe 13:07 18 Oct 2005

Seems like you have some corrupt files in your Office installation.

Try doing a repair - put the office disk in and you will be given the option to repair. Ensure you have all the Office disks to hand before you start.

Failing that, forget about MS Office and install OpenOffice click here - it's free and just as good for most uses.

fazer 14:14 18 Oct 2005

Edstowe

Thank you for the response.

Before I do what you suggest, may I just reiterate that Microsoft Office works absolutely fine when I log-in - it only mis-behaves when the kids try and access it via their password.

Would corrupt files as you suggest cause this to effect a particular user only?

Edward-207256 14:37 18 Oct 2005

well the probelm could be solved with a re-installation of the microsoft office, but if your kids don't mind going through the process of pressing cancel everytime, it is hardly worth the bother.

Eddy

€dstowe 14:56 18 Oct 2005

"Would corrupt files as you suggest cause this to effect a particular user only?"

I don't know but it may be that your kids login version has become corrupt and yours hasn't. It's worth a try doing a repair/re-install. Little to lose, potentially lots to gain.

Then again, for the price, you could follow my other suggestion for your kids - and perhaps yourself as well.

fazer 15:35 18 Oct 2005

Thank you Edstowe - I'll follow your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?