microsoft office 2010

windsock 21:32 16 Jun 2010

hi all my lad has just bought student office 2010
he uses a dell mini laptop windows 7 we have been using a external cd drive and external hard drive if he needs to load anything or transfer files problem is that the cds for office 2010 are on dvd format and the external cd drive only reads cds not dvds.
my question is would it be possible to create a iso image onto my external hard drive using the desktop then loading on to laptop. if this is possible could you point me in the right direction
or is it a case of buying a external dvd drive.
many thanks

Strawballs 22:58 16 Jun 2010

If you have network and the Netbook can see other machines on your network then set up the DVD drive on one of the others for shareing put the DVD in that drive and access it from the netbook to install.

That is what I used to do for my sons netbook before he got USB DVD drive.

skeletal 10:33 17 Jun 2010

Try copying the file from the DVD onto the external hard drive (via your main computer). Then run that file from the HD to the laptop (i.e. no need to make an ISO image).

Skeletal

chub_tor 10:43 17 Jun 2010

I had a similar problem and copied the Office 2010 files from the disc to a USB thumb drive by just dragging and dropping. Then put the thumb drive into the netbook USB port, opened the drive contents and clicked on Setup - it worked a treat. You will need a USB drive of at least 4Gb.

windsock 21:00 17 Jun 2010

hi all thank you for your response`s went with Skeletal`s suggestion copied files to ex hard drive worked a treat one happy teenager.
thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017