Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 is it safe?

Border View 11:52 22 Nov 2014
Answered

I have a Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 attached to the top of my monitor and connected via USB.

My O/S is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I use Avast Free Antivirus. My ISP is BT Infinity.

Bearing in mind the reports of Russian web sit hacking into home webcams I wondered is mine safe. I can't find where to enter a password to protect it. On very rare occasions I use Skype or Facebook.

I would welcome your advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:21 22 Nov 2014

If you have a decent Antivirus and use the Firewall built into Windows there is nothing to worry about.

An occasional scan with Malwarebytes or similar to check against malware wio keep you protected.

Batch 13:12 22 Nov 2014

I think the recent media items that you refer to relate to webcams that are not connected directly to PCs, but sit on the (home) network independently. These are then left active and accessible externally via the Internet so that the user can view their home (or whatever) remotely.

In order for this to work the webcam needs to be addressable over the Internet (via an IP address) and connects (e.g. via WiFi) to the router. It's pretty obvious that such access needs to be secured (e.g. via a secure password that the webcam unit use). The problem arises when such devices are left with the default factory passwords.

Your USB webcam does not fall into this category. As long as your PC is secure (e.g. decent AV and firewall as FruitBat says), your webcam should be fine.

Border View 14:04 22 Nov 2014
Answer

Thank you Fruit Bat /\0/\ and Batch for responding. Your advice has put my mind at rest.

spuds 15:32 22 Nov 2014

The story circulating about this event seems to have been covered by 'Batch', and is mainly based on people not setting a new password, leaving the manufacturer factory password still on the device.

My local newspaper did an article about this yesterday, because apparently it as effected a number of people or locations in my area of the country, out of a possible 500 UK wise. The article also seemed to suggest that the cameras in the main were from Chinese made Foscam webcam's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017