Microsoft HelpFiles

kevvyb 21:14 24 Jun 2003

Is there a simple reason why the hyper links in my helpfiles do not work?

jazzypop 21:30 24 Jun 2003

Which version of Windows?

kevvyb 21:34 24 Jun 2003

Win98SE - sorry should have said

jazzypop 21:52 24 Jun 2003

NP - do you get any sort of error message, or simply nothing happens at all?

kevvyb 22:05 24 Jun 2003

Hear the click. Nothing happens. No error messages.

jazzypop 22:20 24 Jun 2003

Try the fix(es) listed at click here

kevvyb 23:37 24 Jun 2003

Thanks Jazzypop will take a look although this does not really relate ti IE.

However, I am also getting an error message on selecting Tools/Internet Options in IE which says:
"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in this computer. Please contact your administrator".

Do you have any idea what might be causing this. This is the first time I noticed it tonight. Could it be to do with settings in Zone Alarm??

jazzypop 19:36 25 Jun 2003

There is a Registry setting that blocks access to Tools > Internet Options - see click here for how to re-enable them. Note also the references to Spybot - have you made alterations to settings within this program recently?

kevvyb 20:32 25 Jun 2003

Thanks Jazzypop. It's the spybot what done it! Pity I didn't remember that I set it to block access here!

Thanks again.

Not sure about the fixes for IE though. Do you think these would apply/affect helpfiles in all MS programs??

jazzypop 20:56 25 Jun 2003

There is tight integration between IE and a whole host of Windows routines and programs. The same code that isa used within IE is used to launch hyperlinks in other units, such as the helpfile.

It is not a definite fix, but can not cause any harm. If your registry entries already are the same as the suggested fixes, then they are not the problem. Typing regsvr32 , and then clicking OK will have no effect if urlmon.dll is correctly registered, but will fix it if it isn't.

kevvyb 22:50 27 Jul 2003

It's taken me while to get around to trying your advice and it worked!

Thank you.

I know it's quite a while off yet but do you think that when MS stops supporting Win98 all the knowledgebase articles will be made available on CDRom to buy? At the moment I am printing them as I use them but it would be a real pain not to have access these after the withdrawal of support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?