Microsoft Explorer & Options failure IE7 / IE8

QUADDRA 23:01 09 Apr 2009

Hi,

Here is the problem -
Internet explorer opens for a brief second then closes.
Internet options is also not working.
The same happens if you try with control panel, internet options just flickers then vanishes.
All accounts are behaving in the same way.

So I have no access to the internet. Although Outlook express is working but if you try a link Explorer just flickers then vanishes.

System is XP. Explorer was recently updated to IE8 but has reverted to IE7 (ver 7.0.6000.16791 Mod name msvcrt.dll mod ver 7.0.2600.5512 offset 00036fa3) after a previous restore.
Restore was because of a previous problem - (unable to mail photos) - Restore did fix this.

I am using updated avast, Spybot, Ad-Aware. Full Scans report no Viruses or Ads etc have been detected. System restore has no effect on the problem.
Have run sfc /scannow but still nothing.
Tried Windows update - just in case, but no help.

Help
What next?

birdface 07:12 10 Apr 2009

See if you can download Firefox.

click here

That should work until you get Internet Explorer sorted.

birdface 07:14 10 Apr 2009

[Spybot, Ad-Aware] Not the greatest programs .Maybe try Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.Both free versions.

QUADDRA 14:13 10 Apr 2009

Hi buteman, thanks for helping.
I would try these options you suggest but can not get anything to download cus unable to open explorer in the first place. Accessing forum with my daughters laptop.

Don’t know if this helps but before this happened I found that copy and paste, say from word to google search stopped working. Couldn’t figure what was causing it so just lived with it.
Don’t know if this has anything to do with the problem but it worth mentioning.

birdface 14:26 10 Apr 2009

If Outlook Express is working e-mail yourself a copy of Firefox and you should be able to run it from there.Or still having problems with Outlook.Can you not download any of those programs mentioned on to a disc or Cd and install them on your computer.

birdface 14:56 10 Apr 2009

If using Spybot or Spywareblaster maybe you have set it to protect I/Explorer and not to let anything change it.Can you reverse it if you have it ticked on any of those programs.

QUADDRA 15:26 10 Apr 2009

Hi buteman,
Yea I will have a go, see what happens.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?