microsoft error message

steve263000 17:58 04 Dec 2008

Every time I use the computer at some point I get a screen message that says Microsoft Visual C+++ inthe message it says PRORG C:\\PROGM-1\METMA-1\Common\cmpgnsvr.exe

Abnormal program termination.

I do not seem to have any problems with the computer and i have run the usual tests. Does anyone have any idea of what this is? By clicking OK it goes away and I have no further problems but I would like to know what causes this.

By the way the - marks are actually tilds but I could not find the tild mark on the keyboard in while writing!

Technotiger 18:32 04 Dec 2008

Try running click here may be just a glitch in the registry.

steve263000 02:43 05 Dec 2008

Thanks for the info Technotiger but CC cleaner has been in my arsenal for ages and run and checked a few times

Technotiger 08:57 05 Dec 2008

I have been doing an extensive Google search on the subject - it would appear that this is a very common problem with multiple causes, but no one seems to have found the definitive answer!

How long has this been going on? Perhaps a System Restore back to before it started might fix it!

brundle 09:13 05 Dec 2008

Can you post some links Techno? I can't find a reference to that file name anywhere except in this thread...

Technotiger 09:26 05 Dec 2008

Hi, you won't find anything under PRORG C:\\PROGM-1\METMA-1\Common\cmpgnsvr.exe, nor under cmpgnsvr.exe - but do a Google for Abnormal program termination.

brundle 16:07 05 Dec 2008

Need the actual program name, "Abnormal Program Termination" reveals nothing. Use procex to google the actual process itself; click here

woodchip 16:22 05 Dec 2008

Check the Event viewer to see if it reveals anything right click on problems then Properties

steve263000 05:52 06 Dec 2008

Thanks for all the help and posts guys. I am reluctant to do a restore because there is no problem with the computer and I just get this occasional message.

Woodchip where is the event viewer you wrote in about? I tried the control panel but could see nothing there.

€dstowe 06:50 06 Dec 2008

Event Viewer: RIGHT click My Computer and carry on from there.

Technotiger 09:14 06 Dec 2008

Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer ...........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?