Microsoft Defender

FerriF 20:01 06 Nov 2006

I have Window XP with all the update. I just installed Norton Internet Security 2007. Do I still need the Defender?
Thanks

anskyber 20:19 06 Nov 2006

I do not have the defender but I think it is a full time ant spyware program which could therefore clash with your full time Norton Suite.

If you want added back up by way of scanners which do not conflict then try Spybot Search and Destroy as well as AdAware Se personal edition both of which are free. click here

anskyber 20:21 06 Nov 2006

It would help others if you did not run duplicate threads. click here

squillary 07:30 07 Nov 2006

I think the point of FerriF's question is that installation of NIS2007 /demands/ the removal of Defender as well as SpyBot, so he's asking if it should be reinstalled.

For me, until I can determine the quality of the Adaware\Spyware component of NIS I've reinstalled Defender as well, though up to now neither program has picked up a single problem, thankfully.

From what I've gathered, if Defender is used then it's redundant to use Adaware or SpyBot as well because they're all different versions of the same kind of program, while some opinion indicates the latter two are struggling to keep up with developments.

The alternative I would suggest is Ewido (AVG Anti-Spyware) - a better and more complete utility than A-squared as an anti-trojan.

anskyber 08:35 07 Nov 2006

Yes I see, my reading of the post was incorrect!

dogbreath1 09:04 07 Nov 2006

I would reinstall Defender and scan occasionally with Spybot, a-squared and Ad-aware. There should be no conflict with Norton and the various progs do pick up things which the others don't.

I have one AV installed (Avast) on a number of machines. Each also has Windows Defender and SpywareDoctor ASW running in real time and without conflict.

If you try it out and your system noticeably slows down, you may have to reconsider...but I would expect it to be OK. And for the record, if I had to ditch anything, it would be Norton.

squillary 19:46 09 Nov 2006

If I had to ditch anything it would certainly not be Norton. With the smaller footprint, reduced processing requirements any past preconceptions are worth reviewing.

For AV the link click here makes the free software look almost incompetent, while tests on free (but not commercial) ZoneAlarm click here makes it look something of a liabilty.

PCA's article click here indicates that relying on timely update from free programs is becoming more and more risky.

The point of a quicker machine isn't so that viruses and Spam can get through weak defences even quicker! I wouldn't get dogmatic or complacent just in order to maintain a stance against paid software. Make your own decision, certainly, but don't cut off yor nose to spite your face.

squillary 19:51 09 Nov 2006

Oops - that second link should be:
click here - Sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?