microphone won't work on PC games.

dune3 13:27 04 Oct 2007

Hello, pc boffins, I purchased creative labs headphone/microphone combination as my young son plays pc games online; he can hear other players through his headphones but when he talks to them through the microphone they can't hear him. I assume the combi is plug n play as there is no installation disc therefore no drivers to install, you simply plug in the twin 3.5mm jacks into the external volume control unit (also by creative labs) & it should work but the mic doesn't. Are there any pc settings to change? I am currently using creative labs SB Audigy 4 7.1 sound system. If someone can help could I please receive a detailed blow-by-blow account on how to fix this problem as I have average pc experience.

Technotiger 13:57 04 Oct 2007

You should have a speaker icon (sound controls) in your System tray at bottom of screen. Click on it and check that the mic is not muted.

dune3 11:29 05 Oct 2007

Thanks for input, was called away from pc, hence delay in responding. Have done what you suggested, mic volume is over 75% already without my changing it, what next, Technotiger?

crosstrainer 11:33 05 Oct 2007

A switch on the mic? Long shot really:)

dune3 12:18 05 Oct 2007

Yes, there is a mic on/off switch & it's set to on position; there's also a volume control & it's on full.

cycoze 12:27 05 Oct 2007

Look on the volume control, is there aan "advanced" button at the bottom? if there is click on it and check the box for microphone boost, see if that makes a difference.

Technotiger 13:56 05 Oct 2007

Hmm, I was not too concerned about the volume, rather, is there a tick in the Muted box? If there is then it means that the mic is muted.

dune3 16:10 13 Oct 2007

Thanks all who responded, I have checked everything as regards all of the above, but nothing seems to work, there are 2 3.5 jack inputs on the front of my base unit for h/phones & mic, I think I was supposed to plug my combi into the same but still no joy. I think the 2 inputs have been switched off from the inside or have never been connected from when I bought the whole caboodle a year ago. I have a 3 year warranty on all the hardware, so I'm going to phone the company on Monday to inform them of this problem before sending the base unit back to them to rectify, it's only now that I bought the 'phone/mic combi for the first time for my son, never felt the need for it before. Thanks for all your responses.

Technotiger 16:46 13 Oct 2007

Ah, you have just mentioned that you are using the Front jack inputs. Very often these sockets are not connected to the motherboard. This is quite normal. You should connect your headset jacks to the sockets on the rear of the case.

Technotiger 16:52 13 Oct 2007

PS, you might need to get a extension lead for your headset so that you can connect to sockets on rear of case. These will be available at Maplins or similar shop, cost just a few pounds at most.

umbongo(uk) 18:37 13 Oct 2007

check out creative labs faq

also what games is he having problems with
or is he having problems with team speak(just for those not in the know team speak is a gaming client tht lets you talk in game to fellow players)

if its the steam game serie,s he has to press k i think to initiate speech then unpress it to stop transmitting

with team speak the same as above unless you set it to voice activation

also have you tried using a messenger service just to test wether it working
just down load skype run the phone test to see if it is working
or try windows mic recorder for an evaluation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?