Microphone screeching on pc

VNAM75 19:44 04 Mar 2010

When I'm using the mic to make calls on skype I have to turn the volume up very gradually because when it reaches a certain level it makes a very loud screeching noise. Only recently it did not do this and I was able to turn on the volume as high as I wanted but I had to do a system restore and its returned to the previous state. So it must be a software/sound setting. Anyone know what it could be?

jack 19:56 04 Mar 2010

Hopefully you are using headphone with the
micorophone.
Endevour to mute the louspeakers
Feedback is the mutual interferance between an open microphone and loudspeakers in close proximity to each other.
If it is not possible to switch off/mute the speakers then turn your back so that the microphone and speakers are shielded.

Technotiger 19:57 04 Mar 2010

Control Panel>Sounds and Audio devices> under Volume tab click on Advanced under Device volume, then under Play Control click on Advanced again, then make sure the box by '1 Digital Output Only' is NOT ticked.

At least that is how I get to it on my XP PC.

johnnyrocker 19:58 04 Mar 2010

have you gone through skype set up as it can be important?

johnny

Technotiger 19:59 04 Mar 2010

And as Jack says - it is best to use a Headset, with or without mic, if your webcam has a built-in mic.

VNAM75 20:22 04 Mar 2010

Thanks. I don't like using headsets. Technotiger, it works for me if I tick the 1 Digital Output Only box. There's no interference at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache