Microphone problem with Skype

Blubottle 12:12 07 Jan 2008

I cannot get my mic to work with skype I get a message telling me the mic is muted. Now I have tried everything to set it up as directed all to no avail. I have tried testing it through the recorder app in windows,nothing heard, I know the mic is working when you tap it you can hear sound through the speakers. I have now run out of ideas.
I downloaded the new skype ver 3.6.0.244 and the problem has arrived with it, but as already said it wont work in recorder, no speach.
O/S win 2k on board audio.
any solutions please.

mole44 12:41 07 Jan 2008

My son had the same problem,answer was easy,i got hom a USB headset/mike. he just plugged it in a USB port and all worked fine.

Stuartli 15:41 07 Jan 2008

Follow the Skype sound setup advice here:

click here

The information about configuring the mike may surprise you.

Blubottle 20:11 08 Jan 2008

Hi Stuartli.
As I said I have tried all the set up procedures within Skype but every time I go to test the audio settings and make a test call. I am told "Skype cannot hear my talking is you mic muted", the answer is no all indicators tell me it should work. I can hear myself talk through the speakers but Skype cant, It seems to have happened since I downloaded and installed the latest version.

Technotiger 20:17 08 Jan 2008

Maybe a re-download and re-install over the latest one might fix it.

Stuartli 23:03 08 Jan 2008

Earlier versions at:

click here

Stuartli 23:06 08 Jan 2008

In both the Volume icon's Playback and Record sections, I have the Mike boxes Muted - as I stated earlier, the advice proved somewhat surprising from Skype...:-)

It all works fine (I use a non-USB headset).

RobertinHerts 13:05 09 Feb 2008

I found this query, and hence the forum, via a Google search. It's exactly the problem I've been wrestling with for ages. The pointer to earlier versions of Skype by Stuartli WAS the solution for me. Possibly because I'm using Windows 2000, as for the original poster Blubottle, on both PC and Laptop. Hurrah!! I just registered with PC Advisor online in order to say THANK YOU!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?