Micrografx Picture Publisher; Are old programs a security risk?

Phrixos 13:24 07 Dec 2013

Long-outdated yet still functional, Micrografx Publisher 10 (Pro) was written to run on Windows XP; and yet, now lears later and with a few however hard to find patches it still runs perfectly on my Windows 7 Machine. So user friendly and still powerful, I love this program; I hate the idea of having to toss it, but now I am wondering if, it being so old and without regular updates it presents a security risk.

Advice?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 07 Dec 2013

I doubt if that one will be a risk.

Programs communicate through the windows op system, so as long as windows is patched up to date, there shouldn't be a problem.

Diemmess 16:03 07 Dec 2013

My guess is based on filthy lucre. What's in it for the wretches who vandalise and grab whatever money is available? With Microgrfx there is nothing to attract such behaviour. The probability is that the older the software is simpler and fewer items of malicious code have a place to lurk. Your anti-malware software has a much more difficult task with Win 7 and should protect the Micrografx easily. I liked the suite a lot, but mine must have been older than yours and I needed facilities which it did not have, You can be relatively safe if you install on the HD and keep the original floppys for other circumstances and keep the read-only tag on them.

woodchip 19:14 07 Dec 2013

I use a Older version without any problems used it up to the time of Corel Buying the Program, when printing its nice to be able to put photo exactly where you want on the page before printing it and also the resizing photo or doc to print

woodchip 19:15 07 Dec 2013

PS I would think you can ignore any Security risks, They could be imaginary to you

Phrixos 14:43 10 Jan 2014

Thanks for all the input. I'm relieved.

It seems I'm far from alone in my appreciation of PP10. I thought I was the only user left. Accordingly. I'll add that if any of you are finding Windows 7 compatibility problems with PP10, I found a rare update & a bug fixes that, at least on my system, has given it full functionality. See

PP10 updates

lotvic 19:51 10 Jan 2014

**Phrixos, shame on you.**

A rather crafty SPAM affiliate marketing ADVERT - on following the link you get the info for PP10 in your post on that forum, and under the guise of Tip: Download Windows Repair Tool (affiliate marketing link) you get Registry Reviver software - a registry cleaner and in the very small print: ".....for an annual fee of $29.99, you can fix unlimited problems found"

lotvic 13:19 11 Jan 2014

thanks Lazarus The 2nd, however a warning from OP that the other forum contained advert in every first post would have been good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?