Microft scam

highside 13:56 03 May 2012
Answered

lotvic 14:03 03 May 2012

If you mean the phoney support phone calls YES it is a SCAM. Read this thread about it ClickHere

birdface 14:05 03 May 2012
  birdface 14:13 03 May 2012

If you let them take control of your computer at anytime you could have problems.

Maybe change your passwords for a start.

Have a read through this.

http://ask-leo.com/igotacallfrommicrosoftandallowedthemaccesstomycomputerwhatdoido_now.html

birdface 14:20 03 May 2012

Sorry that never came out.

It just said that if you let them take control of the computer that probably a reformat would be best.Or resetting it back to a different Image if you back up your computer with the likes of Acronis.

I am sure someone will be able to give you further information on what is best to do.

Woolwell 14:42 03 May 2012

I think that buteman's solution is a little OTT. We don't know if they took control. In any case changes of passwords would be a must. If online banking is used then it may be worthwhile alerting your bank/credit card. In many cases this is just a scam to get money for a non-existent repair. If credit card details were given then alert the company immediately.

lotvic 14:47 03 May 2012
Answer

These are the details from OP'highside' from other thread

"Help please, think I just got caught and I see lots of info now to wade through later I went some way with this before becoming too suspicious, did not get as far as credit cards.

I have Norton but is there anything else that can be done in case that site has left anything on my PC

They obviosly new alot about my system and how did they get my name and phone number and pc ID?

I am in Malta and the number recorded on my phone is a Malta country code number. Thanks"

highside, To save confusion - Please can you green tick one of the threads so that replies only go on one of them. Just click on one of the big grey ticks at the right of a post and it will turn green, the next time page is refreshed thread will be marked 'resolved'.

lotvic 14:49 03 May 2012

A system restore to a previous date will remove any registry entries that they may have installed on your pc.

highside 15:16 03 May 2012

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?