michaelmas 10:18 11 Apr 2004

I regularly download Windows XP patches and upgrades from the Microsoft
site. These are always applied directly to the computer without the option
of saving to disc as is uaual with other downloads, consequently if I need
to re-install Xp (as sometimes happens!), the system reverts to the basic XP
and the upgrades are lost.
Is there a method of svaing to disc - I have tried to find the option on the
MS site but to no avail.


Michael Grice

  sidecar sid 10:26 11 Apr 2004

There is a way to save Windows updates to disk
A guide from Powerless

click here

However it does involve downloading them all again,a pain if you are on dialup.

You can obtain a disc from Microsoft containing most updates(you will need a Hotmail adress)from

click here

  johnnyrocker 10:27 11 Apr 2004

have alook on the microsoft site there is a free cd with all the updates on it.


  michaelmas 18:08 20 Apr 2004

Many thanks for the tips - I got into the Microsoft site and requested a Cd and it arrived yesterday!

Thanks again

  michaelmas 19:42 29 Apr 2004

Further to this query, I have received the following method which works well (it also applies to Win98) and you can be selective in the downloads selected:

Create a folder on your hard drive then visit the MS update site. After the Check for Updates applet has loaded do not click the ‘Scan for updates’ option. In the left hand Windows, under ‘See Also’, click ‘Windows Update Calalog’, then in the right hand pane select ‘Find Updates for Microsoft Windows…’, select your operating system, work your way down the list, clicking Add for the Updates you want to download then finish off by clicking ‘Go to Download Basket’ and save them in your newly created folder, after which you can burn them onto a C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?