Mice

eljanno 18:10 06 Jul 2003

Please could someone tell me the difference between a normal microsoft mouse and an optical mouse. Which is the best and why?
Thanks
Jan

Magik ®© 18:11 06 Jul 2003

The optical one has no ball, so it never needs cleaning....

eljanno 18:13 06 Jul 2003

Is that it, nothing else

VoG II 18:15 06 Jul 2003

Don't need a mouse mat with an optical mouse.

palinka 18:18 06 Jul 2003

Yes, that's it. So of course you don't need a mousemat or desk to run it on.
You also have a choice of optical cordless, or optical conventionally attached to your computer by a wire.
Cordless operate by battery. There has been a lot of discussion of the pros & cons of optical in this forum in the past.

LAP 18:39 06 Jul 2003

eljanno, I have used a mouse with 'wires' for 5 years as the wife now has this I replaced the whole system which included optical keyboard and mouse. Have not looked back since. Mine is battery operated I prosume they all are. I found that on occasions the wire would catch/pull, not now. I can 'back page' without moving the cursor. I have a scroll wheel, so I do not have to use the scroll bar. I can hold the scroll wheel down on a page and have control over the speed the page scrolls up or down. I think it is just alot better than I had before. I do appriciate that my old mouse was probably well out of date and you can do all/most of these things with 'wires' now. Just anothers point of view .Best..lap..

Tim1964 18:47 06 Jul 2003

Have had an optical mouse now for a year and would definately NOT be going back to the ball....

graham√ 20:05 06 Jul 2003

An optical mouse has an LED (Light Emitting Diode) which shines a light on the (desk) surface. Another device is light-sensitive (for example, a Light Sensitive Resistor), which then detects the reflected light and hence any movement of the surface. This signal is encoded by a powerful machine (your computer) and translated to move the cursor.

Someone will now come up with a 'click here' and I've wasted my time. :-)

graham√ 20:48 06 Jul 2003
  Ironman556 21:00 06 Jul 2003

I bought a Logitec cordless/optical keyboard and mouse a month or so back from a PC fair for £36 (~£60+ if you go to PCW). Fine for gaming, very handy extra functions on the keyboard... upgrade, you won't regret it.

eljanno 22:09 06 Jul 2003

Thanks for all the advice guy's I bought an optical mouse today it say's its ps2 but it wont work i the slot that my old mouse went into so I have to use the usb, only thing with that is I have a extention usb hub and this means it now has to be plugged in all the time. I am short of plug space so if my printer and scanner are not in use then I dont need to plug in the usb hub but now I do which is a pain, but what the hell.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Speak soon
Jan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017