messenger

conrail 09:21 30 Sep 2003

trying to get rid of messenger, I have edited the registry and downloaded the programme from click here yet messenger still apears, when I run the click here programme it tells me that messenger is not installed yet it keeps popping up. There is another option where I edit something using notepad, I put "HIDE" at the end of a line but cannot remember what this is, can someone help please, thanks

expertec 09:25 30 Sep 2003

Downloaded what program from click where?

Jester2K II 09:25 30 Sep 2003

To uninstall messenger, close internet explorer, MS outlook/Outlook Express and exit out of messenger.
-Now type (or copy and paste) the following into a run line (Start menu, Run):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and hit enter

This will easily uninstall messenger

Jester2K II 09:26 30 Sep 2003

Or you could find and open the SYSOC.inf file found in C:\Windows\Inf (all .inf files are hidden by default so remember to unhide them first in the folder options of windows explorer. So open this file and look for this line: "msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7" (without the quotes). Delete the 7 from the end of the line then save and close the file.

Then you can open the Add / Remove panel and uninstall Messenger this way. Incidentally this second method shows that other items normally hidden can be uninstalled as well by editing this file

conrail 09:50 30 Sep 2003

thanks Jester2K II, the second 1 was the 1 I was thinging of, I also notice that there is the option in add/remove in control panel. I find messenger slows everything down and as I don't use the program why have it running?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?