message settings which ones?

Muergo 12:23 18 Nov 2010

I have just had an e-mail returned as being illegible because it was in Unicode.

I have never worked out what settings need to be activated, apart from english the other options such as western european and unicode etc are a mystery to me as to what are the usual settings for this part of the world.

I am still getting problems with sending to some sites using HTML, for those I have to select plain text, is it me or them that need to change settings, how can I set up so that everyone can read my messages clearly.

onthelimit 13:04 18 Nov 2010

Which email prog are you using?

Muergo 19:13 18 Nov 2010

Outlook Express, the problem recipients seem to be on G-Mail and in Hong Kong as far as language is concerned.

XP SP3 but irrespective of e-mail what keyboard settings/ language settings are normal for Uk.
There are so many alternatives I am not sure what to select.

Muergo 02:38 20 Nov 2010

Has anyone any ideas as to how to set up the message protocols, whats Unicode or Western European, then there's ISO... and so on, I know not to choose Arabic but which of the others are normal for U.K.

lotvic 10:38 20 Nov 2010

Mine is set at Western European (Windows)

Muergo 12:27 20 Nov 2010

What made you choose that one, and what is Unicode?

northumbria61 13:05 20 Nov 2010

It's not in simple terms but you asked "What is Unicide" - click here

northumbria61 13:06 20 Nov 2010

Or Here - click here

sunnystaines 14:08 20 Nov 2010

some of the emails you sent to my gmail recently were a mass of code, but managed to read the message between the masses of code.

not sure how to fix it, i thought it had just got corrupted in transit between servers

Muergo 14:16 20 Nov 2010

Yes Sunny staines, see my other thread, it wasn't this question but whether to use plaintext or HTML which I have been using.

As I posted just now, although most recipients didn't have trouble with my messages, those on Gmail did, so I am changing my default to plaintext and see how that goes.

All I want is a guide as to which settings for language, format etc are used by most people so I can follow suit.

lotvic 17:59 21 Nov 2010

If you rightclick on one of your received emails (no need to open it) and click on Properties > Details tab you can see what format they sent it to you. If you further click on 'Message Source' button you will get a few more details.
e.g. pca newsletter is:-
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
--------------
personal one from USA:-
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_7714.4a434c5c.3a09a255_boundary"
-----------
one from someone using Incredimail:-
Content-Type: Multipart/related;
charset="iso-8859-1";
type="multipart/alternative";
-----------
notification one from Facebook:-
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
------------
from gmail with some pics in:-
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Content-Type: image/jpeg; name=30102010948.jpg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; filename=30102010948.jpg

They seem to then have differing settings, so I can't really advise what to set yours at, you might have to just do 'trial and error'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?