message says to insert cd in drive

Smokeyone 14:43 26 Sep 2007

Hello

Until a week ago everything was fine but in win xp everytime I try and copy anything to a cd I get the message about no cd in drive when there is. Have tried various ways and different blank cd's but always the same result.
Any suggestions please.

what o/s?
are you using burning software?
If XP try uninstalling the drive in device manager and reboot/let windows re install

Smokeyone 15:07 26 Sep 2007

Thanks for the suggestion but still no luck.
Tried uninstalling drive in device manager, rebooted, win xp found new hardware etc.
Still asking to insert cd in drive !

Can you play discs,software,audio,dvd
is it just burning thats the problem?
try deepburner to burn
click here

reset dma
click here

Smokeyone 17:28 26 Sep 2007

Yes, dvd, cd, music etc all auto play, it's just burning thats driving me up the wall. Tried reset but still no luck. Also win xp cd wizard and deep burner get the same result..........

try run>services.msc check imapi cd burner service is started and set to automatic,see if that helps.
theres also a upper/lower filter fix posted on this thread coutesy of skidzy
click here

Smokeyone 18:15 26 Sep 2007

Thanks for trying to help, still no luck.
Tried run services etc.......nope
Tried the regedit fix, followed instructions carefully but still no joy. However the drive now spins which it did not before but still same message !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 26 Sep 2007

Its looking as if yur burn laser is kaput, one last thing you can try is to remove and refit the IDE cable from the motherboard socket and the rear of the drive or try a new cable.

Smokeyone 16:48 27 Sep 2007

Have tried all suggestions now. The drive now spins, thinks about life and the world in general, ejects the tray and windows message says no cd in drive etc.
Do you think I need a new drive !
Suggestions welcome on what and where to purchase
Thanks again

Pineman100 17:45 27 Sep 2007

Before you spend money on a new drive, why not try different burning software?

I had exactly the same problem as you - burning with Windows XP wouldn't get the drive to recognise a CD. Someone told me that the built-in Windows CD burning software is [email protected], so I now use Deep Burner, as suggested above by *Raven*, and have no problems.

Smokeyone 09:46 28 Sep 2007

Already tried Deepburner with no success.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?