Message pop up re validating windows (vista)

daisy2bell 08:42 20 Dec 2008

Hi

I'm running vista basic on a Dell inspiron 1520
Since yesterday I am getting a pop up with the following message.

"Optional update delivery is not working

You may be a victim of software counterfeiting

To use all Microsoft Windows features, such as all updates from windows Update;get the latest updates;and recieve product support, your copy of Microsoft Windows must be validated as genuine.

Go online and resolve now."

Needless to say I have not clicked the link on the message, and am wondering if this is genuine.

Thanks

skidzy 08:54 20 Dec 2008

This maybe the validation tool from Microsoft and will need to be installed before you can collect the required updates.

Can you post a screenshot ?

Technotiger 08:57 20 Dec 2008

Hi, I don't have Vista, but it does sound dodgy to me. You are quite right not to click on any link. Instead, run your anti-everything, especially Malware, programs. Always best to be on the safe side.

I usually find that having started the responses to your query, others will soon come on with their suggestions too.

Happy Christmas.

Technotiger 08:59 20 Dec 2008

Hi Skidzy - I thought Vista had its own way of asking the validity, ie a small window asking if you are sure - or something!!

tullie 09:03 20 Dec 2008

Sounds like Microsoft,but to be sure maybe it can be done from the Microsoft website?I assume that you have a genuine copy of Windows?

birdface 09:05 20 Dec 2008

Have a look.click here to be honest I tried Googling for the problem but had a few warnings of bad sites and had to get of a bit quick.But your problem looks genuine.

daisy2bell 09:10 20 Dec 2008

Thanks guys. I did not click on the link, just closed it down.
I have already done all the various scans which didn't throw up anything.
Yes I am running a geniune copy it was already installed on the dell when I bought it from new.

Just been on the microsoft website and it asked for validation, and it passed ok.

The only thing I can immagine is that microsoft is just double checking that people have genuine windows.
I'll tick this as resolved, but if it happens again I'll post more information.
Thanks again.

daisy2bell 09:13 20 Dec 2008

skidzy

Sat, [email protected]:54

This maybe the validation tool from Microsoft and will need to be installed before you can collect the required updates.

Can you post a screenshot ?

Can't post a screenshot as I allready closed it down, but I did have to download and install the validation tool before validating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?