Message - HDD - Checking File System

dms05 10:44 17 Feb 2006

I've an almost new laptop with XP Home. I've loaded most of my software without problem but after loading my Siemens Mobile Phone Manager I've had problems.

On booting I now get 'Checking File System' on D: (my HDD is partitoned 45GB C: and the same for D:). Usually it reports 10% complete then hangs and I get a Blue screen reporting 'Machine Exception 0x0000009C + 0x00000004 + 0x8054FF0 and others'.

If I RUN>CMD>CHKDSK D: then the disk is checked and reported OK.

If I press 'any key' when the XP message 'Checking File System' appears then XP boots but most programs on C: don't run.

I've used a RP to before I installed the offending software but the problem hasn't done away.

Any ideas?

dms05 11:14 17 Feb 2006

I can't even enter Safe Mode - pressing f8 simply produces a whole screen of info about drivers.

woodchip 11:25 17 Feb 2006

If you have a full XP CD not a Restore disc, put it in the Comp then from run type SFC /SCANNOW this should correct any changed files or corrupt files. You could also download Microsoft PowerToys Tweak UI these are free, then after loadding the program look at the repair tab and do a repair of System files.

click here

dms05 11:35 17 Feb 2006

Hi woodchip. I've only the Restore disks so I downloaded and ran Tweak UI from the MS site. However under 'Repair' it doesn't offer System Files (Various Icons, Font Folder, Regedit, Unread Mail count).

dms05 11:41 17 Feb 2006

I've run from RUN>CMD>SFC/SCANNOW and it worked without the CD. Obviously loaded originally. It takes a long time to scan, is this normal? I'll report again when the scan completes.

dms05 12:44 17 Feb 2006

I ran SFC/SCANNOW and it complted without any report. I've rebooted and the same problem occurs except the checking now never gets past 0%.

My next attempt will be Defrag as that checks the disk surface before it defrags.

dms05 13:06 17 Feb 2006

CHKDSK from CMD is still verifying that both C: and D: File Systems checkout OK. However under XP the checking hangs on D: drive.

Anyone know a way round, other than a complete restore?

dms05 14:04 17 Feb 2006

The use of System Restore seems to have stopped me solving the problem. I reinstalled the offending software (Siemans Mobile Phone Manager) then used the Siemans Uninstall facility. This seems to have removed the problem (most likely the GPRS module) and all is now well after XP completed itd scan of both my C: and D: drives.

woodchip 15:51 17 Feb 2006

Check when the Program is installed if it writes to Autoexex.bat file in C:\Autoexec.bat You need to open it with Notepad to read it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?