message for the forum editor

MJS WARLORD 16:12 22 May 2017

i dont know how to contact you guys but i do know you read posts.

is it possible for anything to be done about postings that have dubious things on the "click here for answer" links. i no longer look at these links in other peoples questions because their has become a sudden increase in fake links. a lot of them redirect you to questionable websites ( skimlinks site is an example) and i have even seen some with ads for computer repairs etc.

Govan1x 17:46 22 May 2017

I still use WOT for doing that.Right click the click here then click on show WOT scorecard and that gives you the name of the website on the click here.

I rarely open click here's without doing that then checking the website out to see if good or bad.

Archonar 18:05 22 May 2017

There is nothing the Forum Editor can do - you can't screen for these types of posts, using hyperlinks is essential to these forums and there is no way to screen which are real and which are scams without individually examining every post. The best thing to do is report them as soon as they come up so that other people aren't fooled by the link and post on the page warning people.

As a quick check (though Govan1x's is more thorough) - you can hover over the link and almost all browsers will show the address in the bottom left corner. Have a look, you can almost always spot a dodgy link just by the way it looks (www.acerrepairsfree.com/freerepairs.php is the kind of thing you don't want to be clicking on!). If you're still unsure note the domain name and google it, to see what comes up. That way you can be sure that it is a genuine website.

morddwyd 19:57 22 May 2017

At the top of evert rhead, including yous, there is a huper link, "Contact the Forum Editor," unless you think this is suspect as well.

lotvic 20:28 22 May 2017

Skimlinks explained: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising is one of the ways money is generated to help fund the running of this forum. If you really don't want to see most of the adverts then install an AdBlocker for your Browser (I use AdBlock+ for Firefox)

Secret-Squirrel 08:26 23 May 2017

........dubious things on the "click here for answer" links..................sudden increase in fake links. a lot of them redirect you to questionable websites ( skimlinks site is an example)............

I see that you've mentioned this a few times already so if you can provide a specific example or two then we may be able to tell you what's going on. I've never seen anything like that, but I'm using an ad blocker, so Lotvic may be right and what you're seeing is just normal PC Advisor advertising.

Miss Swift 09:00 23 May 2017

OMG. Someone is waking up. SS has now shown the true colours. He/She is in fact a member of IDG Staff.

Miss Swift 09:01 23 May 2017

This is not a real forum. They just want your traffic so that they get paid.

john bunyan 09:38 23 May 2017

Miss Swift

Time to fly away . 'Bye.

Secret-Squirrel 12:20 23 May 2017

OMG. Someone is waking up. SS has now shown the true colours.

I've no idea what any of that means. Try again but this time use complete meaningful sentences. If you can't then the forum "quote" feature may help.

He/She is in fact a member of IDG Staff.

I'm not. Why would you think that?

Forum Editor 17:24 23 May 2017

Miss Swift

"SS has now shown the true colours. He/She is in fact a member of IDG Staff."

I can confirm that he/she is not a member of staff, but someone who provides help with problems, just like many other forum members.

I can also confirm that our forum is certainly 'real'. It has been real for over sixteen years now, and is Europe's leading computer help forum in terms of the number of people who come here looking for advice.

As for traffic - all websites like to have traffic - it's the whole point of being online. I suggest that you do a bit of research before leaping to conclusions again.You obviously don't really know what you're talking about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires