Message about the PREVIOUS web page

Batch 14:16 07 Nov 2008

Whenever I go to Microsoft's Office Update from my desktop PC, I get the following message in the information bar at the top of the first page loaded after clicking through to Office Update:

"The previous web page might require the following add-on: 'Authzax.dll' from 'Microsoft Corporation'. Click here to allow it to run..."

I go to Office Update from Microsoft's home page ( i.e. I go to microsoft.com, which loads as microsoft.com/en/us/default.aspx and then click on Office Update ).

I find the message odd in that it refers to what the PREVIOUS page MIGHT have wanted. Also my lappie doesn't give the same message. Both are running XP Pro SP3 (with all latest updates).

On the desktop PC Authzax.dll is at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 and at C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\9040150900063D11C8EF10054038389C\11.0.3216. The former is a later version.

Authzax.dll is not present on the lappie.

The desktop PC runs Office 2000 plus Visio 2003.

The lappie runs Office 2000.

I guess that it is to do with Visio 2003. I just ignore the message and everything seems fine, but I'm intrigued about why I'm being told about what a PREVIOUS page MIGHT have wanted. Can anyone shed any light?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017