Message about hardware acceleration appears

bumpkin 18:42 06 Mar 2015
Answered

Hi, I am using W7 on an old backup PC. My Grand Daughter also likes to play childrens games on it like Purble Place. When I start the game I get this messsage.

"Hardware aceleration is either disabled or not supported by your video card driver, which could slow game performance. Make sure you have the latest video card driver installed and that hardware acceleration is turned on"

The game runs too slowly to be much good, also no sound although that may be a separate issue. Any help please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 06 Mar 2015

on an old backup PC

your graphics card may be too old for the game

bumpkin 19:43 06 Mar 2015

FB yes it could well be, it is integral with the asus motherboard, machine probably 8-10 yrs old. I will download speccy and see if I can give some more inf. thanks

bumpkin 19:55 06 Mar 2015

Speccy shows MB as ASUS P5VD2-MX SE and the graphics adapter as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Secret-Squirrel 20:00 06 Mar 2015

There are a couple of things you can try:

1) Go to Device Manager, double-click the display adapter, click the "Driver" tab and see if you can update it. You'll need an Internet connection for this.

2) These instructions should help you in checking to see whether hardware acceleration is on or not. Note that this option isn't always available. Set it to maximum acceleration if you can.

1]: [click here

Secret-Squirrel 20:05 06 Mar 2015

".................and the graphics adapter as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"

Ah, that explains why the PC's graphics performance is so rubbish. Try to update it to the proper one as per my earlier instructions.

rdave13 20:13 06 Mar 2015

Flash based games I believe.

Secret-Squirrel 20:45 06 Mar 2015

Bumpkin, I tried to find the proper Windows 7 driver for your motherboard's onboard GPU but I failed. The Vista ones usually work just as well but I couldn't find one of those either :(

With Windows using the basic "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" driver the graphics capabilities will always be disappointing. Hopefully you'll find that my tip #1 from earlier works but I'm not too confident now.

rdave13 21:00 06 Mar 2015

Too old for updates I think. If you can run Purple Games (from HP is the original) see if you can run it in Chrome.

bumpkin 21:09 06 Mar 2015

Thanks, did as suggested. Driver is up to date and acceleration set to max. I did not have to change it to that it is what it is allready set to. Just tried the game again and still the same message.

"Try to update it to the proper one" I am unsure what you mean by that, the driver or something else. Thanks.

Secret-Squirrel 21:11 06 Mar 2015

"Flash based games I believe.........If you can run Purple Games...."

Are you thinking of something different Dave? Purble Place is the suite of three children's games that came bundled with Windows Vista and 7. They're conventional programs that aren't Flash based.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?