Mesh PC Need New Hard Drive - 2 Qs

PaulB2005 12:30 24 Jul 2007

Can't seem to get any information on the following so wondered if anyone can help.

1 Mesh PC with dead hard drive.

Recovery CD has not yet been found.

Q1. Can i install a new hard drive and use the Mesh Recovery CD if it is found?

Q2. From the info i can find it appears the Mesh Recovery CD is just a re-badged Windows XP disk. Does this mean if the Recovery CD can't be found that i can use someone elses Home XP CD with my CD key?

Thanks in advance.

davidprc 12:46 24 Jul 2007

Talk to Mesh who will sort a replacement cd and probably sort out your HD as well.

PaulB2005 12:54 24 Jul 2007

All out of warranty i'm afraid so they want ££££. Happy to do the work myself.

Jak_1 12:55 24 Jul 2007

Recovery cd's usually only work with the hdd that was supplied with the machine and normally rely on a hidden partition on the drive to recover the system.
From what I can make out, the two choices are to
a. Follow davidprc's advice or ...
b. Buy a new hdd and a system cd at the same time.

I know this sounds a bit negative but I really don't see any other way round it.

PaulB2005 13:01 24 Jul 2007

Not true. Some manufacturers such as Dell supply what is essentially as re-badged Windows XP CD. I have replaced the HDD on Dell PCs before.

I'm just not sure with Mesh. Do they use a tattoo like HP etc??

Strawballs 13:05 24 Jul 2007

It should work with another XP home disc and your key as long as it is an OEM version.

If the Mesh CD has full XP on it but still won't work you can use this slipstream method to extract windows from it and make it bootable just miss out the bit to intergrate SP2 if it already has it click here this is what I had to do to get the HP 1 working.

crosstrainer 13:06 24 Jul 2007

As far as I'm aware, Mesh do not tatoo their hdd's the way HP and Packard bell do. It would, however be wise to contact them anway.

I reckon it would be good PR to supply a recovery CD for free.

PaulB2005 13:09 24 Jul 2007

Strawballs & crosstrainer - Thank you. The sort of informed information that i wanted. Not just wild stabs in the dark which my mum could have supplied.

Seems there is also an overheating problem so this could be academic.

Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?