MESH has problems starting in morning

Boluwd 20:37 20 Mar 2007

My 3 year old Mesh Matrix (Athlon 3000+, ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo, 1280MB RAM) has developed a very annoying problem over the last few months. It is powered via a Belkin anti surge multisocket, and overnight, after shut down, I switch off the multisocket at the wall.

In the morning, it takes several attempts at switching the PC on using the on button. Eventually the fans start to whirr and if I’m lucky, the BIOS boots up and Windows XP starts. Sometimes the fans start up but the BIOS screen and post beep will not happen until I press the reset button.
If the PC has been on during the day I can then switch it off and it can be restarted some hours later without any problem (the Belkin multisocket has been left on in the intervening period).

This morning after several pressing of the on button, the BIOS screen appeared and the POST beep happened but then the Blue screen of death came on! It said that Windows would close and mentioned that the BIOS was not ACPI compatible. (I do not have the exact message as I had to leave for work). No matter how many times I pressed the reset button, the same screen appeared AND I could not access the BIOS using the Del key.

Later this afternoon, my wife turned the PC on and it started up without any problem!

Am I heading for a failed PSU, MOBO or CMOS battery? Has anyone else encountered this sort of annoyance? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jackcoms 21:09 20 Mar 2007

"MESH has problems starting in morning"

So do I.

But after my first cup of strong black coffee I feel much better. ;-)

Input Overload 21:22 20 Mar 2007

Try a new motherboard battery.

skidzy 21:37 20 Mar 2007

Also check all fans are clear of dust and other foreign bodies.And check the power cable is firmly in place.
While you are inside the machine,double check all leads and ram are securely fixed same goes for any agp/pci cards.

€dstowe 22:10 20 Mar 2007

I've twice had a similar problem recently - both due to a weakening PSU. A replacement power unit in each had the machines back to how they should run.

Will Tech man 22:14 20 Mar 2007

Have you tryed cleaning the gold contacts on the memory card inside the computer also blow out any dust in the memory card slots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?