MESH Computer Wont Start

mulligan 09:46 02 Dec 2006

I tried to turn on my 2001 MESH computer this morning and not even a POST. Looking inside the case the motherboard (Asus A7V133)light is still on. After unplugging the power then plugging it back in, then pressing the on button the fans spin for a fraction of a second before cutting out. Pressing the on button again does nothing. No unseated cables. I originally thought could be power pack but why would motherboard respond briefly? Any help much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:00 02 Dec 2006

Definately sounds like a dying PSU can you borrow another one to try?

mulligan 11:08 02 Dec 2006

Thanks for the advice. I plugged another computer's PSU plug into the motherboard and all fans spinning. Will buy a new PSU.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:45 02 Dec 2006

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

mulligan 13:14 02 Dec 2006

PSU changed (from 300 to 400W). Only problem was that the ATX plug retaining clip was too wide and snagged on a motherboard capacitor. I just cut off the clip and secured the plug to socket with insulating tape. All working again now. Its quite an old computer (Athlon 1400)so I've probably compromised a bit on quality (Jeantech JNP-400 from local PCW, ie the only brand they were selling)but at least its up and running again.
Many thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\. I had considered binning it as I thought it might have been a motherboard fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?