MESH Computer with 18 inch NEC-1860NX TFT

Boluwd 15:03 10 Sep 2003

I'm evaluating various options for a replacement PC. I need to replace my 3 year old Mesh and I like the look/value of the Matrix 2600+Premier (Computer Buyer Best Buy) with an upgrade to 3000+XP Athlon and an Audigy 2 ZS card and 19" Mitsubishi DPRO 930 CRT. Total price with del+vat of £1160.90. I have been very happy with my old Diamond PRO 710 (17") but it does take a up lot of space on my desk and therefore the 19 incher will be even bigger! I am therefore considering an upgrade to a 18 inch NEC-1860NX TFT ( about an extra £150 on top). Has anyone any experience of this model or indeed can review the Matrix Premier package? I want to be able to enjoy my Colin McRae Rally and Grand Prix 4 at a decent speed. (currently got a 650MHz Athlon Slot A and a good old Voodoo 3 3000 16MB card (optimized of course! with Omega drivers!!!)The new Matrix is an MSI FX 5600 Personal cinema 128 MB card.
I have looked at the NEC page and see that it has a 30ms refresh. Is this too low for decent gaming without ghosting? I've read with interest your responses to Bodi's earlier thread. Do I really need to spend an extra £150 to have more room on my desk, will gaming be a dead loss on TFT? What's it to be, gang??

Djohn 15:11 10 Sep 2003

I don't play many games, so difficult for me to advise on that aspect.I can say that the few I do play plus all DVD movies are perfect on my TFT, [17"AOC]. Also the "Mad-onion" 3D mark graphic test is handled with absolute ease. No ghosting at all. Regards. j.

Boluwd 16:30 10 Sep 2003

Thanks Dj. They also do a Sharp 17 inch TFT for a £100 less, don't know which model it is tho'

Boluwd 22:25 10 Sep 2003

Anybody else got any opinions on this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?