Mercury in laptops

pacman24 15:00 19 Nov 2010

My cousin decided to break his laptop up a packard bell mv35 mit sable c, i told him after that screens can contain mercury, its been a few weeks now and he has had heavy flu is there anything to worry about?

woodchip 15:08 19 Nov 2010

It is a poison Metal

wiz-king 15:11 19 Nov 2010

Not a lot of mercury in a screen, about as much as in a fluorescent tube, less than a tooth filling.

pacman24 15:12 19 Nov 2010

Yes i know that, is there alot of mercury in lcd screens

pacman24 15:13 19 Nov 2010

Alright so nothing to worry about then?

sunnystaines 15:18 19 Nov 2010

mercury causes pink skin flushing as a classic symptom, i have seen someone with it.

click here

pacman24 15:29 19 Nov 2010

No pink skin just abit of flu

mooly 17:13 19 Nov 2010

As far as I know there is no mercury in LCD screens as such.
The flourescent backlight is another matter and that does contain a small amount.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:27 19 Nov 2010

There is not enough mercury in a single laptop to cause harm of any sort.

However if you were breaking up and stripping hundreds a week then the build up could cause harm in the long run if proper precautions were not taken.

Fingees 17:32 19 Nov 2010

I read that a short while ago, someone droppeda thermometer in their kitchen.
Unsure what to do, they rang the fire brigade, who came round in protective decontamination suits to clear it up.

Hundreds of thermometers get dropped and broken in hospitals, and there is no real problem, its just wiped up.

When I was a youngster at school in 1950s, we used mercury in experiments in science class, with no problem.

We also rubbed some on old halfpennies, which covered them in silver to look like shillings.

rawprawn 17:38 19 Nov 2010

"Hundreds of thermometers get dropped and broken in hospitals, and there is no real problem, its just wiped up."
They do not contain mercury.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache