Memtest86,errors

iqs 20:46 11 Jan 2009

Hi,

I have just run Memtest86 on my mothers PC,I suspected her RAM was faulty,and the test confirmed it???

This is the first time I have used this software,and I wouldn't mind some guidance please.

The test for L1 & L2 cache was problem free,but when the system RAM was tested,the bottom half of the screen was red,it listed a rather lot of errors.

I did not let it run for the full duration,I stopped the test when it was at about 40%.

So from this can I assume that her RAM is faulty,should I have used the configuration option before the test,how reliable is this software at reporting possible RAM errors.

Thank you

johndrew 10:36 12 Jan 2009

I have run Memtest86 and had some errors show up, but not of the volume you report. I understand the software is very searching but also reliable - generally.

When I ran it I was having problems with Acronis True Image indicating corrupt backups when I validated. Acronis Support advised my RAM was bad, but after a lot of other digging I found this to be untrue and the cause was something else.

However I did find a fair amount of information on Memtest86 and this FAQ click here]FAQ[/url was one of the most informative as it provides information on false positives. Hope it helps.

iqs 11:01 12 Jan 2009

Hi johndrew,
and thank you for the link,very interesting FAQ.Will have a proper read later and run the test again,cheers

sunnystaines 18:39 12 Jan 2009

i always use the boot up floppy version, it is very good.

iqs 19:35 12 Jan 2009

whats the difference sunnystaines ?.I went for the ISO CD image because not many PC's are equipped with FDD.Cheers

sunnystaines 19:44 12 Jan 2009

not sure, but when i had bought some faulty RAM the cd detected no faults a boot up floppy did may be something to do with scanning the memory before windows loads and interferes.

on speaking with novatech they also confimed they used the same method.

skidzy 20:23 12 Jan 2009

Though i do trust Memtest i have had a bad report in the past.

Have you tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool,and lets see if this fails ? click here

Or try the trial version of Goldmemory click here

iqs 22:56 12 Jan 2009

Hi,

Will give the floppy version a go,see if it makes a difference.

I have not heard of the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool,will download and try.

Thank you all for the help :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?